The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Rangefinder

playing with alloys today...

So there I was, minding my own business, thinking about ballistics, penetration, expansion, etc... I've been playing with my BP and muzzle-stuffers a bit more again, and was curious as to the penetration and expansion factors on my 1851 Navy. So in true red-neck fashion, I headed out to the shop to "find out". Catch medium was dry phone books--dry because I wanted to see how the RB reacted--not what it did to the target. Cast three .451 balls. The one on the left is dead-soft, middle is dead-soft sweetened with a touch of tin only, the right is straight WW alloy. The charge was a mild 18gr. FFFg at a range of about 10 feet. Dead soft penetrated aprox. 1" before flattening and flowing into the page cracks. Tin added reached about 1 3/4" with less but visible flow into the page cracks. WW alloy took a little scuff on the nose and punched just shy of all the way through the first book at 2 1/2". Had I not had several books stacked to offer more resistance, the WW would have kept going.

Now for comparison I popped a few from a couple center-fires that I cast for. Back right is 93gr 32ACP from WW. It reached 2 1/2" with a little dent in the book behind it. Middle back is .40S&W 180gr. from WW. It reached apr. 4" with split pages in the dent at 5". Back left, just for fun is my .40S&W HD load--It's jacketed, modified HP, and I'm gonna leave it at that. It penetrated just over an inch to 1 1/2", and opened up to.912 across the widest point and retained 80% mass intact, and left a shredded crater to the back of the first book at 3" (it reacts a little different in soft tissue tests, but this was fun and interesting anyway).

This is what happens when I get a little bored and have a little time to kill...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 30, 2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Gerry

Hi, I represent a rights organization called PETPB (People for the Ethical Treatment of Phone Books) and I just wanted to say what you're doing is very, very wrong!

That being said, I'm surprised the WWs survived so well. Heck, you could almost use them again.
Old January 30, 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
GP100man

Amazing what a little antimony does !!!