The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2005, 07:54 PM   #26
klw

CCI Primers

I've probably used about 60,000 of them. Never had a problem. NOT ONE!

I've probably got another 260,000. Obviously I like them!
Old November 6, 2005, 09:47 PM   #27
Poygan

I've been reloading for over 40 years and have used mostly CCI and have no problems with them other than I had some occasions when both large and small wouldn't always light some WC820 surplus. Being open to a challenge, I bought some more WC820 and now I'm trying some Winchester large primers. So far, so good, but winter isn't here yet.
Old November 6, 2005, 10:01 PM   #28
Paul Fitz Jones

Precision Progressive Reloaders

The progressive and automated reloaders I sold and refurbushed in the 60's and 70's had precise primer feeding tool parts that held, fed and seated the primers of the time based on Remington and Winchester primer dimensions. When Federal came on the market it followed the same primer diameters and quality control.

CCI came on the market and ignored the quality of the preceeding companies diameters, roundness and heights with great variability causing explosions in machines I sold and in other explosions I traced down. When I wrote my booklet I asked all my customers and anyone reading my booklet to cease the use of CCI and never was another explosion reported to me.

However my Mentor Gromak Industries bought 3 million primers at an order which made an impressive sight in his warehouse and he modified his automated reloaders to take into account the CCI variable diameters and heights and the first time I saw it I was shocked to see him pour a thousand primers in a cup shaped wire sieve and had to me watch while he gently shook them over a piece of black paper and the black paper turned white from tiny paper slivers from the 100 capacity primer boxes made of paper. He advised me to do the same if I ever used CCI primers as the slivers built up in his ten 5,000 round per hour reloaders and caused him explosions, damaged primers and he had to sort out defective ammo with primer seating problems.

After that demonstration I used nothing but Federal primers in my 2 5,000 round per hour reloaders and for my Police and Civilian serious competitors I had 11 stars set up in my reloading room. Also told were all my progressive reloader and cast bullet customers and asked them to use a magnifying glass on a box of CCI and Federal or Winchester primers to see the difference for themselves.

I imagine that the fellows with Progressives since then without such problems have Dillons with sloppier dimensions in their primer feeding components to be able to let his customers use the cheapest primers.

Anyone with a Star or C-H Auto Champ or H presses should stick with Federal or Winchester for the best reliability and accuracy in competition. I read Bullseye shooting lists daily and I regularly hear of firing line complaints about primer failures to fire. My Bullseye Shooting customers Prefer Federal for the 25 yard range and Winchester for the 50 yard range because the Winchesters are a little hotter for the distance.

What I know and pass on is what my very many customers have told me.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old November 7, 2005, 03:54 PM   #29
Poodleshooter

I'm certain that CCI had quality control issues in the past. I've got a very old box of Magnum Pistol CCI primers which will not fit in any of my 44 Mag primers pockets,regardless of the brass age or condition. However, I have several boxes of new CCI small and large rifle primers which are well made, ignite just fine,and fit the pockets perfectly.
I've had problems getting Winchester large pistol primers to seat perfectly in the past,so I'd say that no brand is perfect. That said, CCI,Federal and Remington primers are generally more expensive around here, so I find myself switching to Winchesters more and more.
Old November 8, 2005, 08:53 AM   #30
Windjammer

Quote:
I imagine that the fellows with Progressives since then without such problems have Dillons with sloppier dimensions in their primer feeding components to be able to let his customers use the cheapest primers.
Sooo, Let me see if I understand this statement.

A reloading system due to its "Sloppy Dimensions" which allows usage of a wider range of components and accomplishes it purpose ( IE setting the primer) is a bad thing , compared to a system with tighter dimensions that restricts component usage to a select few.
Old November 8, 2005, 10:06 AM   #31
Loco Smith

Bs!

I've used them for years, the only time you have problems is when I get stupid. You have to have every thing adjusted properly to feed, but they are known to be hard. Now if you brain surgens are trying to shoot them out of race guns with no spring tension, you got a problem. Pistol or levers. Now if you guys shoot M1s they are the cats meow, then when you get stupid and have a slam fire you'll know why you use them. I've crushed them in half and never had one go off, i've put two in the same hole and crushed both of, didn't go off. So some people must be more stupid then I, if they can make them go off. Its a good product for the right application. MY $.02 Loco
Old November 8, 2005, 11:48 PM   #32
Loco Smith

Learning!

Ya know I love these forums, it gets different ideas. I have always been one to use it as a learning experence. I believe that over the years I have picked up a lot from people and their mistakes, I have always tried to analyze what happened when things went bad and most of the time I found out I was doing something wrong in the process or procedure to cause the problem. Some products have little quirks that may need to be met to make it work, this is what I have always taken as a challegion to make it perform for me. I have loaded for over 30 years, more cal than I can remember, each have different things you learn to produce a perfect round. But I have never found a product that wouldn't work if done properly. Now it is human nature to blame something else for all know we are all perfect, and what we do! One thing on the cci is I have found that on a Dillion I have to adjust it just a little to get it to prime the IBM 44 mag Brass, it is a pain. But they work by hand just fine? Who knows just my observasions. Its like having children, you can look around and see there are a few that should not have ever been allowed to produced ofsprings, but they did. The same goes with other things, some should not be loading AMMO. Thats why you never shoot anyone reloads, Some should not be doing it. Its a democracy, but you don't always get it your way. The same goes for thinking, just because you think it doesn't make it correct, just because you say doesn't make it so. Thats why it's America, Sort out the BS, and be HAPPY. Loco
Oh YEa I can't spell SORRY!