The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2000, 11:03 PM   #1
BrianF-Jax

My dad has a Stevens 311A that he inherited from my Grandfather. Its a gun they used for hunting and such together when he was a kid.

It's in very good condition for its age. Probably isn't worth much except to him of course.

Anyway, to the point..

He can't remember how you remove the barrel(s) for cleaning. He thought it involved pushing the release switch over in one direction and yanking on the barrel, but we haven't got it to come off yet. Can anyone tell me how to get this bugger apart?

Also, the recoil pad on it is cracked/worn out, he'd like to replace it. Can anyone recommend one that fits on and fits the countour of the stock properly? Will one of these Pachmayr Deluxes from the MidWay USA Catalog do it? Just measure and get the closest one? (Never bought a screw-on recoil pad before...)

Thanks as always,

-Brian
Old September 29, 2000, 05:15 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First make sure it's unloaded, then...

With the action closed, remove the forearm. Most 311s of age just need one to pull on the forearm tip and it will come off.Otherwise, operate the release or unscrew the screw. Then, open the action and as it hinges open lift the bbls out of the receiver. Reverse to assemble.
Old September 29, 2000, 07:34 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

BrianF-JAX:

I have sent, by separate email, the assem/disassem of the 311. Hope this will helf.

Harley's Firearms Institute of Research.

HJN
Old September 29, 2000, 09:58 AM   #4
BrianF-Jax

Dave: Thanks for the short of it.

Harley: Thanks for the long of it!

-Brian