The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 30, 2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Dwight M S

New Kind of Range Wanted

People,
I've been fantasizing about a new kind of range. Actually it isn't a range at all, it's a shooting gallery with mechanical, moving targets, be they ducks or whatever. Is there such a thing? If not, why hasn't anyone started one? I couldn't be the only one who would love to spend time and money in a place like this. And the more imaginative the better. So, calling all entrepreneurs with Disney tendencies. We want movement. Can you imagine how many more people would get into the sport/lifestyle, if their practice sessions weren't restricted to paper targets? I do enjoy target practice and other drills, but I still long for more fun.
Dwight M S

Last edited by Dwight M S; March 31, 2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old March 30, 2002, 11:59 PM   #2

Have you ever tried trap shooting ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 31, 2002, 12:44 AM   #3
Stoic

They already have several range systems that use DVD and projection screen technology. I went to a shooting range in Santee, California that used Advanced Interactive Systems "True Fire" setup. This involved a two lane range in which a projector placed a live shooting scenario on an interactive live fire wall. I played a game called "Drug Wars". I shot it out with the bad guys using a Glock 17. It was much fun, but expensive.
Old March 31, 2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Pigshooter

Think how much more fun it would be if the shooter could move around too...

Oh, yeah, I think they call that paintball :P
Old April 2, 2002, 10:41 AM   #5
Dwight M S

Stoic,
That place in Santee sounds great. I'll look for one near me.
Dwight M S
Old April 2, 2002, 01:00 PM   #6
Zundfolge

I got 4 letters for you

I D P A

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old April 2, 2002, 01:52 PM   #7
Aion

I'd just be happy with enough land (and the right landscape) to set up my own range. I'm sick of paying fees, breathing fumes, squinting through the dungeon-like gloom, and the whole nine. I want to be able to shoot when I want, how I want, what I want, and AT whatever I want. I want to be able to shoot at paper, steel silhouettes, poppers, or strike-anywhere matches if I feel like it. I want to be able to shoot anything from a Crossman .177 to NFA stuff.

Not likely to do this in my townhouse basement, huh? Ah, well... it's good to have long-term goals.

- Aion
Old April 2, 2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Chris McDermott

Sounds like you are talking about the shooting "galleries" that used 22 shorts in rifles and pistols. I believe most disappeared during WWII, not sure why. When I was a kid in Denver in the early 70's there were some still left that used compressed air 22 caliber BB guns; they were lots of fun.