The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2015, 07:49 PM   #26
michaelcj

Not a J frame, but I also have to qualify twice a year with the 2" model 10 that I sometimes carry [plain clothes] also out to 25 yards.

The youngsters do think I'm weird but still want to work with me.
Old June 24, 2015, 07:53 AM   #27
cc-hangfire

Thanks folks for answering the OP's question AND making me feel a whole lot better about my own shooting ability - or lack thereof. I do ok with my full sized semiautos, pretty good with the compacts & subcompacts and 4" barrel revolvers I have.

But the two .38spl snubbies I recently picked up - S&W 642 and Charter Arms Undercover - have humbled me. Those small grips in my big hands, short sight radius, combined with the DA trigger pull do make these a challenge to shoot accurately. I have read for years that the snub nosed revolver is a gun for an expert shooter and now I understand why.
Old June 26, 2015, 01:11 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

So become an expert!

Jim
Old June 26, 2015, 01:17 PM   #29
cc-hangfire

Jim,
Ha! I'm trying, I'm trying!! I'll be trying out some better grips on the S&W 642 tomorrow. And each range trip my shots are tightening up - still missing my supposed POA, but I'm scaring it with closer misses at least.
Old June 26, 2015, 01:33 PM   #30
lee n. field

Quote:
Ha! I'm trying, I'm trying!! I'll be trying out some better grips on the S&W 642 tomorrow.
I started a thread recently that you might want to read over: The search for the perfect grip begins again. J-frame "combat" grip. I ended up with a (used) Uncle Mike's Combat Grip, that isn't quite perfect, but works as well as anything I've tried.

Grip preference is very individual. Hand shape, size, strength and control all vary widely. The stock S&W 642 grips I just don't care for.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 26, 2015, 01:41 PM   #31
Dragline45

I carried a couple different J frames for around 3 years and practiced a whole bunch with them. I was pretty proficient with them as I learned to shoot on DA triggers anyway, but I realized I can shoot just about any semi-auto of comparable size just as good or better than the J frame. To be honest I don't feel comfortable using a J frame for anything more than achieving COM shots at close distance, my Shield 9mm which is of comparable size and carries just as easy not only holds 3-4 more rounds but is a whole lot more accurate in my hands.
Old June 26, 2015, 04:31 PM   #32
dahermit

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable using a J frame for anything more than achieving COM shots at close distance...
Isn't that what a defensive concealable handgun for?
Old June 26, 2015, 05:24 PM   #33
j102

S&W J Frame limitations?

Small revolvers are not that easy to shoot and I agree that they are great for SD at close distances. With that said, I think with practice one can become good with them. I've seen people shoot acceptable groups at 10-15 yards distances.
Old June 26, 2015, 07:25 PM   #34
dcludwig

Yep. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Old June 26, 2015, 08:30 PM   #35
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the years I carried and fired (a lot!) my square butt Model 36, I used it almost entirely in double action. I never used any aftermarket grips or special grips. I found that for best control, having the middle finger all the way up in the grip worked for me. IMHO, the idea that there is a need for some kind of grip filler just isn't true. People will object that the hand will be "bent" and that the index finger will not be parallel to the barrel. So? The gun is a revolver, not an auto pistol and it is best controlled if it is used the way it was made to be used. If filler grips or something like the Tyler filler is used, the grip is not tight enough for good control in recoil.

When I bought a 642, the factory (Hogue?) grip was the worst I have ever tried - no control and the recoil beat the heck out of my hand. I replaced them with the old type wood grips.

Jim
Old June 26, 2015, 09:38 PM   #36
dcludwig

My 642 came as a package deal with CT laser grips, so I 've not fired one with factory grips. The CT grips are a bit larger help cushion it, but with an airweight J frame and firing +p ammo, it's going to beat you up a bit. When I broke it in at the range, I think I fired a couple hundred rounds through it and the next day - sore hand! But I love to pocket carry in for SD and if ever needed for that purpose it, I won't be worrying about a sore hand.

That does make it difficult to be really accurate at 25 yards, but with practice you will improve. As has been said, most people use it for SD purposes which would probably be at 7 yards or less and I think it would be very accurate at that range.
Old June 27, 2015, 12:39 AM   #37
FrankenMauser

My 642 Ladysmith has the factory Rosewood grips.

They're uncomfortable and too small.

But... that's nice for concealed carry.

And... No other J-frame that I've fired with any other type of grip has been any more comfortable. Some (like Hogue) force an unnatural grip that just doesn't work for me.

Uncomfortable, but compact....

(Ignore what looks like "crud" caked in the sideplate parting line. It's just the typical case of clear-coat flaking off.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150626_232524843_800.jpg (239.0 KB, 207 views)
Old June 27, 2015, 04:58 AM   #38
dahermit

Quote:
the idea that there is a need for some kind of grip filler just isn't true. People will object that the hand will be "bent" and that the index finger will not be parallel to the barrel. So?
Try this experiment: Empty the gun and pull the trigger double-action a few times and note the trigger pull. Then slip your index finger of your left hand between the back of the trigger guard and your right hand (to act as a grip filler) and pull the trigger a few times again. Feel the difference in the felt trigger pull? That is why people use a filler like Tyler-T or grips that fill that area. The angle of the trigger pull effects the apparent weight of the double action pull.
Old June 27, 2015, 05:32 AM   #39
David R

I don't see any limitations

I shoot this a lot and carry it in an ankle holster or lately in a Bianchi 9R under my left arm.

Accuracy is what it can be. It took me 12 shots to kill 6 1/2 liter water bottles at 25 yards.

This was shot at the club indoor range of 34' using the laser only as the sight.
I liked the original rubber grip that came with it, but I had to have the CT Laser grips.

Loving this 637. Its a year or so old, had fired quite a few hundred rounds with zero problems. Most of them +P

David

Last edited by David R; June 27, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old July 7, 2015, 08:57 PM   #40
shooter1911

As indicated by my name, I shoot and carry 1911s of several sizes as often as possible, but when a small pocket gun is in order, these days it's a 340PD with either Speer 135gr +Ps or the same bullet in .357. This is a difficult JFrame to master as it only weighs 11.4 oz. I feel comfortable hitting a man sized target out to 15 yds consistently, because I practice from point blank to 15yds with a silhouette frequently. I don't attribute this skill to anything other than I have been carrying and shooting JFrames since the 60s with my first purchase being a Model 36, which I still own. That equates to about 50 years of messing with these guns. I learned over the years that a 2-3" JFrame is inherently accurate, but it takes a lot of practice to get good with these guns. By the way in 50 years I have never pulled the trigger when it didn't go bang. Just lucky I guess.
Old July 8, 2015, 06:02 AM   #41
tallball

I can hit a paper plate every time at seven yards with my 2" 38. That is plenty good enough for its purpose, self defense. Like the man said, anything farther than that and chances are good that you will need an attorney.

It is interesting to see how well I can shoot it at 15 or 25 yards, but that is "just for fun". It is not the gun's intended purpose.
Old July 8, 2015, 07:48 AM   #42
SaxonPig

But the TV detectives can hit a moving target a block away shooting one handed from the hip...
Old July 8, 2015, 08:06 AM   #43
jdscholer

Quote:
But the TV detectives can hit a moving target a block away shooting one handed from the hip...

Inspector Erskine of the FBI was the all time best. Ahhh those were the days. jd
Old July 8, 2015, 09:15 AM   #44
Don P

Quote:
Snubs are awesome, but humbling to shoot for even the best pistol/auto shooters.

No doubt, snubby's require more practice and patience than other pistols or revolvers.
BINGO!!!!! Give the man a CIGAR
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 10, 2015, 06:41 AM   #45
kristop64089

I'm on my 5th J-frame (just scored a nice little 637 Monday), and I will say this; GRIPS, find one that you like,fits you, and lends to accuracy.
The factory Boot grip is ok, but does not lend to accuracy for me. I have a 3 finger grip now on the latest one, and it changes the behavior of the gun noticeably.
The biggest limitation to the gun is round capacity compared to all the available Semi-Autos available today.
I personally carry my J frames for SD(especially when on my motorcycles) because they are the most simple and reliable point and shoot weapon in my arsenal. Not to mention they are timeless design and aesthetically appealing.
It's a close in weapon. A game changer if you will. If you dont' "outkick your coverage" so to speak, you should be fine.-
Old July 10, 2015, 11:27 AM   #46
pete2

2' and 3" guns can be just as accurate as a 4" or 6" BUT they are much harder to shoot. In my younger day I had a 3" 36 that would do 2" groups at 25 yds. all day long off bags, off hand was another story.
Old July 11, 2015, 10:07 AM   #47
j102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristop64089 View Post
I'm on my 5th J-frame (just scored a nice little 637 Monday), and I will say this; GRIPS, find one that you like,fits you, and lends to accuracy.

The factory Boot grip is ok, but does not lend to accuracy for me. I have a 3 finger grip now on the latest one, and it changes the behavior of the gun noticeably.

The biggest limitation to the gun is round capacity compared to all the available Semi-Autos available today.

I personally carry my J frames for SD(especially when on my motorcycles) because they are the most simple and reliable point and shoot weapon in my arsenal. Not to mention they are timeless design and aesthetically appealing.

It's a close in weapon. A game changer if you will. If you dont' "outkick your coverage" so to speak, you should be fine.-

What grips do you have in yours? We love pictures!
Old July 11, 2015, 11:57 AM   #48
kristop64089

This little gem came with a Holster, Speed loader, factory grips, and 50 rounds. If I told You what I paid for it, you'd probably say some bad words. All because of some wear on the backstrap, and carry wear by the hammer.

The guy took my offer of $250, but because I asked him to hold i(it was listed as first come first served), I gave him $280. He was asking $300 OBO
Old July 11, 2015, 12:05 PM   #49
kristop64089

not sure why the photos woon't post.?
Old July 12, 2015, 01:49 PM   #50
James K
Member In Memoriam

The secret of accurate shooting with a "snubbie" is the same as with any other gun - keep the sights lined up and squeeze the trigger.

Oddly, where the snubbie is not very good is at short range firing from a low position without using the sights, something most folks think a snubbie is made for. But a longer barrel is more visible in the peripheral vision and makes pointing (rather than aiming) easier and hits a lot more likely.

I once did a lot of point shooting (the old FBI style) and did best with a 6" K-22; I later went to a 6" K-38 and did almost as well - the extra recoil (mostly wadcutters) made no real difference. I could never do as well with a 2 or 3 inch barrel, though a Model 19 4" was OK.

Jim