The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2011, 02:43 AM   #1
arcticap

Custom Ruger OM Midsize 45 Colt.

Take a gander at the beautiful custom Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt in the August photo contest.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...4&postcount=13

Last edited by arcticap; August 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:27 AM   #2
duelist1954

Wow! That is gorgeous. I'm a real sucker for three-screw Rugers.
Old August 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
rep1954

arcticap, This is in response to your PM asking for more spec's to be posted here.

This gun started out as a late 60's Ruger 357 Blackhawk. A fellow I work with and I did the work with my friend doing the majority of the machine work. We both work in the tool and die trade. I had two guns that we built at the same time this one that you have enquired about and a Ruger 357 50th Anniversary. They both received pretty much the same treatment through out. The barrels are 5 1/2" octagon made from a 12.0" by 1.0" dia. .452 groove 4140 purchased blank. The front sights are pinned in blades with a mount that is intergal to the barrel. The barrel sizes across the flats were made to the same diameters as the barrels were so there would be enough material left to machine the ejector housings to fit. The gun shown has a Ruger Old Army steel grip frame that has had the trigger opening welded and reshaped to the OM trigger size. Also the ej housing on the shown gun is steel. After smoothing and tuning the actions the guns were polished all by hand with no power tools in order to preserve the edges. The CCH was done by Turnbulls and the nitre blue accents and other blued parts were done by Bachelders Custom Guns. Upon completion of the guns I handed over the NM Flat top to my friend for his participation in the build. I went on to fit another cylinder to the gun you asked about and then sent it to Allan Harton to be rechambered for 45 ACP. The cylinders that were rechambered to 45 Colt were done by us on a 5 Axis EDM machine to tight tolerances. Both guns have moved on to other owners now and new projects in the future. Looks like I am getting a little long winded here so heres a couple of more pictures and I'll let you be.

Old August 27, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
arcticap

I really appreciate hearing all of the details and the additional photos too.
Many thanks!

Last edited by arcticap; August 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old August 28, 2011, 06:50 AM   #5
mykeal

And thanks to arcticap for this thread. Beautiful work.
Old August 28, 2011, 11:59 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

EDM cylinders? Wow, talk about having something precision. Beautiful gun.