The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 28, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
DaniK

I'd like to know a little bit about these two guns.

Hey everyone. I've got a couple of guns here that I inherited from my grandpa and I was curious about them. Unfortunatley I don't have any pictures but here is what I do know about them: The first is a Springfield rifle Model 120A made by Savage Arms Corporation. The second is a New Haven shotgun Model 295 made by O. F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. Both guns are bolt action, and they are in pretty good condition. I am mostly wondering about the history and price of these two guns. Any information would be appriciated. Thanks!
Old January 28, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Alert

condition has the most bearing on what they're worth, and whether or not collectors are willing to buy them has some bearing too
Old January 29, 2009, 05:51 PM   #3
dmatamorosq

DonĀ“t know much, but Mossberg shotguns are premium shotguns, and many consider them to be the best, and if not, among the best.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:54 PM   #4
greywalker

mossberg shotguns are generally considered to be of good quality, but this does not translate to commanding high prices, also, bolt action shotguns seem to go for lots less than other actions, due to higher recoil and clunkyness.... but a savage and mossberg should by all means be durable, quality built firearms, provided they were not abused- might have a qualified gunsmith give them a lookover....
Old January 30, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
DaniK

Thanks for the input. Your probably right, Greywalker that I should have a gunsmith look them over. I know that before my grandad started to travel alot he used them for hunting purposes but that was about forty years ago and I don't think they've been shot since.