The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 31, 2008, 06:42 AM   #1
omkhan

Home Invasion Story

Ok, this happened some 5-6 years back at my home. I was a student in university at that time. So one night I went to sleep at 3:30 AM after surfing net & chatting etc. Around 4:30, I was awaken by my mom who told me in a panicked voice that some one was in the home. I jumped off the bed and went to investigate.

Let me give u the idea of my that single story house. It was on a 230sq. yards with a side & front un covered area. rest was the covered area. The front consisted of the car porch, stairs to the roof & veranda. The window of my parents bedroom opens in the porch & door & window of the Drawing room in the veranda. Since the veranda was well lit, I could see some shadows moving from the breech of the door. I was never into such a situation & my head started spinning. My dad was out of city & I was with my mom & 2 younger sisters.

Anyway, I went to mom's room & tried to see from the window. I didnt have the view because of angle but the window glasses gave me enough reflection of two guys trying to break in through the drawing room window. My head started to spin faster, I just didnt know what to do. I didnt even have a firearm @ that time. Suddenly, it occured to me to use my car's anti burglary siren. I rushed to pick up the remote, came back & hit the panic button. The siren went off & the 2 BGs just dashed towards the 7 ft. wall & crossed it over. A 3rd BG , abt which I wasn't aware of until then, was on the roof & he too ran away.

In the heat of all this, It didnt occur to any of us to use the telephone or cell. So after it I tried to make a call to police & my uncles but the line was dead. so used the mobile phone & informed the concerns. Police came, inspected what the BGs were doing near the DR's window & it appeared that the iron grill was just one screw away & was literally hanging on it. Means, If I have waited for the cops to arrive or relied only on them, they would have been inside well before the police could show up. Here the response time could be anywhere from 15 mins to indefinitely :P The 3rd BG on the roof had the telephone line cut. I can just thank God for it because it was very very lucky for us to thwart this invasion. btw, this would have their (BGs) 2nd robbery in the street since a house was looted on gun point just 3 days ago same time most probably by the same goons.

I now own a 9 mm & a 12 GA but I m still not sure what would be my response if God forbid something like that happens again. , Will I be able to use the gun properly, how abt trembling hands & so many other factors. I just can't describe the situation & I bet that I wasn't in my complete senses.
I really believe it was for my mom as it was her prayer time & she has a habit to check out doors & windows whenever she gets up & had she been a little late in that, things would have gone differently. The trend shows most home invaders r too trigger happy & violent. Some r reported to be polite enough but how would u know?.

Sorry for the long post but I really wanted to share it with u guys. Comments, critics, & ur would be response in such situation r welcome.
Old October 31, 2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Hondo11

Sounds like you did a fine job with the tools you had at your disposal at the time.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:02 PM   #3
radkoch

Sounds like you were pretty level headed and it worked out well for you and you did it right. Pretty much shows how the police cannot be there to protect everyone and that you need to defend yourself. Be it a firearm or other defensive item.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Ruthless4christ

get rid of the screw in grills on your windos. drill into the wall and weld the grills into the rebar of the wall.
Old November 1, 2008, 10:28 PM   #5
vytoland

You did a fine job of protecting your family the first time. If any BG come around again, you will know what do do with your 9mm and shot gun to take care of business. Do not hesitate. Shoot at the BG until your guns are empty.
Old November 2, 2008, 11:55 AM   #6
David Armstrong

Quote:
drill into the wall and weld the grills into the rebar of the wall.
If you do, make sure your grills are hinged and can be released from the inside in case of fire or other emergency. As for the incident, you did fine and it's a good example of what I've said before. A little light and a little noise will usually get rid of the BG around the house.

Quote:
Shoot at the BG until your guns are empty.
No. Do not shoot at the BG until your guns ar empty. Shoot at the BG if he is a threat and you must use deadly force to reasonable protect yourself from death or grave injury, and once that threat is gone stop shooting.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
omkhan

Thank u all for the replies. I didnt weld them afterwards but electrified them. I also got rid of the screws & used 3" nails. We have recently moved to another house & it has the same window setup. These will get weld shortly.
Old November 3, 2008, 02:01 AM   #8
kw5891

break in

most pastors want talk about this. but one did the late jerry farewell he said if you break in my home & i am put in a position to protect my family my 357 will greet you then after my 357 greet you then i will pray you want die. very well said if you put me in that place i will defend my home. i am a Christian but i will shoot you. my sweet wife mary told me honey dont let someone hurt me. so after i stop you then i will be glad to pray for you. have you all notice what happing at our schools fight back
Old November 3, 2008, 06:06 AM   #9
Malexander

Alternatively you could attach the grills to the wall with screws with uncommon or proprietary recess which BGs are less likely to be prepared for.

If you've no intention of ever removing the screws but don't want to drill into the wall and put in rebar, use normal screws but then drill out the recess so you literally can't get them out.

If you ever did need to take them off, you could grind the heads off with an angle grinder.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Even if I had a gun the car alarm makes a MUCH BETTER first option. They left and NOBODY got shot. That's the goal.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:38 PM   #11
stephen426

Great job and fast thinking on your part! The main thing is that your family did not get hurt.

I know it sounds kind of crazy, but you have to set emergency plans for situations such as this. If you are sure there is someone there, get everyone into a "safe room" and lock the door. This safe room should not have sliding glass doors and the less windows, the better. Aim the shotgun at the door and shoot if someone crashes through it. Yell that the police have been called and that you will shoot anyone that comes through the door. Use whatever additional cover/conceallment you can to your advantage such as a doorway to the bathroom. Make sure other family members are calling the police and hiding where they won't be in the line of fire. This gives you the best odds of defending your house against 3 intruders. Trying to "clear" the house yourself is very dangerous.

There should also be plans in place for emergencies such as fires or earthquakes. Failure to plan is what leads to chaos and confusion. Planning for a home invasion is no different.
Old November 3, 2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Daugherty16

Maybe you're second guessing yourself, but it sounds like very quick,solid thinking in a terrifying moment - many might have panicked but you used your head. With the guns, thinking clearly becomes even more important - the post that cautions about using deadly force only when necessary is 100% right. Practice, read, train, learn. Hope it never happens again. But it sounds like if it does, you'll be ready to do the right thing again - whatever that is in the situation then. Being smart is a great start. Being armed/dangerous is also a good idea. But being smart and armed is the thing we should all strive for.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old November 3, 2008, 05:53 PM   #13
GPossenti

My wife always tells me we need to love our enemies. I always tell her that sometimes that means loving them after we eliminate the threat.
Old November 4, 2008, 02:45 AM   #14
BikerRN

Quote:
My wife always tells me we need to love our enemies.
The difference is, although I've never met you or your wife and I'm just assuming, your wife is a lady. The felons we are referring to are anything but gentlemen.

Biker
Old November 4, 2008, 08:56 AM   #15
pax

GPossenti ~

Message for your wife: In order to love your enemies, pray for them, turn the other cheek, etc, you have to be alive. Whatever form your enemy's attack on you took, you already survived it. Forgiveness is a powerful, wonderful thing; so is refusal to take revenge. Both of these things can only happen after the initial encounter where you discover the person is your enemy. By definition, they simply cannot happen before you know who your enemy is or what he's done.

pax