The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 8, 2002, 07:09 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

.45 ACP on hog?

i've recently taken to carrying my 1911 while hog hunting here in california, and I was wondering if the winchester silvertips I use when i'm hunting (hardball is not legal, even in backup guns while hunting) is adequite to the task.

my colt is not my primary weapon, I either use my m-1a or a pre 64 model 70 in .30-06 for my primary.
Old June 8, 2002, 10:42 PM   #2
Greybeard

Don't know the size of the bruisers that you plan to pop there, but I think .45 ACP, while better than no backup, could be lacking in penetration/stopping power.

No direct personal experince with .45ACP on hog, but had a hunter ed. student tell me a couple of yars back that he had hit one (of course everything is bigger in Texas) with rifle and thought it was down to stay when it charged him. ' Said he shot the .45 all the way to slide lock before hog finally went down less than 10 feet away ...
Old June 8, 2002, 11:02 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I got to admit to a bit of puzzlement as to the purpose of wearing a pistol while hunting, unless it's for coup de grace or maybe a need for self-defense from weird people (I'm guessing) if one is not holding one's rifle.

If you already have your hands full of rifle, why or how would you manage a handgun if "the world went all crazy"?

, Art
Old June 9, 2002, 03:59 AM   #4
Hkmp5sd

I used to carry a handgun while hunting. It was a .22 loaded with ratshot. I really, really, really do not like snakes. In Florida, there are many snakes. Did I mention I really don't like snakes? Carried it while fishing too. Lotta snakes in lakes.

NRA Life Member
Old June 9, 2002, 08:02 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Erick, I'd plumb forgotten I still have six or eight hundred of those flat-nosed Hornadys, loaded to the max. Thanx for reminding me.

Snakes? Somebody doesn't like snakes? Awwwww....Question: Will .22 ratshot make a hole in a boat-hull? Per campfire conversation, a .410 Snake Charmer will.

Art
Old June 9, 2002, 08:56 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

No hardball? I'd go with a hornady 230 grain XTP. Seems to be the slowest opening of the JHPs. May be able to get it in factory loads, not sure.

Second choice (maybe first) would be a hard cast bullet. Trouble would be finding a good bullet.
Old June 9, 2002, 08:59 AM   #7
Greybeard

Re: Coup de grace - game birds with .45 ACP shot loads

FWIW, I too rally like to have some type of handgun handy with shot loads, especially when downed birds want to play hide and seek in the bush. Have used everything from NAA .22 up to .45.

HK: Re Snakes

CCI's .45 ACP shot loads throw an awesome little pattern! Did some testing a while back on paper plates. At 10' the verticaly strung group was approx 3 1/2" by 5" from Glock 36 - and the gun even cycled for followup shots!

Pretty expensive plinking tho ...
Old June 9, 2002, 02:18 PM   #8
Andrew Wyatt

Well, I use the same LBE for hunting and everything else, so i have a holster attached to it. removing and replacing the holster is a pain in the ass, so i just put a pistol in it.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by my model 70's capability at conversation ranges, since it has a 4 power scope mounted on it.

I find the 1911 to be a better tool for close cover than the rifle(since it has iron sights, is semi auto and holds more ammunition), and carrying both allows me to take both really short and fairly long shots.

I've got some 185 grain lead semi wadcutter loads available, but i'm not sure how fast they go, other than they were loaded to make major according to ipsc rules when they were loaded (mid 70's, i think)

does buffalo bore make .45 ACP loads?
Old June 10, 2002, 02:32 PM   #9
ckurts

Art:
No experience with .22 ratshot on boat hulls but a .22 LR has no problem with penetration. Even after hitting snake.
Kurt