The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Cycrops

Feeling down about lack of small pistol primers...

I shoot an even mix of .22 LR, .45 ACP, and 9mm, about 800 total rounds each month. I was lucky enough to stock up on .22 back in November, so I've got an 8 month supply of that.

I've got more than 1K each bullets for .45 and 9mm, and Berry's doesn't seem to have any problem taking new orders and shipping them in a relatively timely fashion, even with all the madness.

I also have plenty of brass. I was previously using .45 brass with large primer pockets, but I purchased 2K pieces of once-fired brass, all with small primer pockets. I figured at the time that it would be simpler to use small pistol primers for everything.

Powder's not an issue, and Cabelas near me has Bullseye in stock if I need more.

So that leaves me with a primer shortage. I guess I was lucky enough to place an order with Powder Valley before they announced they would no longer accept backorders on primers, but who knows how long it will be before they get more in stock?

My last check on gunbroker showed several people were bidding $100+ for 1000 small pistol primers (about 4X what Powder Valley charges) and I refuse to pay panic prices for anything.

I guess I'm stuck and that makes me sad. My Sunday morning shooting ritual is one of my favorite parts of the week.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Small rifle primers will work the same if you can find them. I have been using them since after the 08 election.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
rlc323

Recobs currently has Federal SPP at regular prices. They are limiting everyone to 1000. Haz Mat is 27.50 on top of UPS Ground to your address.

I hate paying the Haz Mat but I needed some powder too and I am 70 miles from anyone who deals it. So with gas at $3.39 a gallon 140 miles round trip, old truck would burn at least 9 gallons. I probably broke even.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,60.html
Old January 29, 2013, 11:14 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Where in Illinois are ya? I am just east of St. Louis, MO. I may be able to help ya out a little. I have plenty of small rifle primers, which can be subbed for small pistol. I use small rifle for all my small pistol needs.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 29, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Still $40-$45 a thousand up here.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Cycrops

Quote:
Where in Illinois are ya? I am just east of St. Louis, MO. I may be able to help ya out a little. I have plenty of small rifle primers, which can be subbed for small pistol. I use small rifle for all my small pistol needs.
That's kind of you to offer. I'm in the NW burbs of Chicago, so not close enough for FTF I'm afraid.

If small rifle and small pistol are so similar, why do they bother labeling them differently?
Old January 31, 2013, 07:51 AM   #7
res45

Quote:
If small rifle and small pistol are so similar, why do they bother labeling them differently?
Because being similar doesn't mean there the same primer or can be used interchangeable with given load data without making modifications to the load. Depending on the firearm,rifle primer in pistol rds. may cause light firing pin strikes and FTF issue due to cup thickness.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:45 AM   #8
adamc

Connecticut has dust on the shelves even at the lgs AND Cabelas

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old January 31, 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I have used small rifle primer in pistol loads for 4 years. I started at the starting load, and worked up every load. I used 1K small pistol once when I got them in a trade. They worked the same with my loads that were small rifle. Just never use the small pistol for small rifle loads. The rifle primers have a thicker cup to contain the pressure of rifle loads.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:42 PM   #10
JR_Roosa

I was lucky and bought a few thousand in early December. I use 10 times as many LP primers, so I'm good for a while on SP, but I'll be scrounging for LP in a few months.

I wish I got some other things then too. Powder valley had everything in stock.

Those were the days, my friends...

Things will catch up. Prices will go up, though. Supply and demand.

-J.