The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Quail: 8 shot, or 6 shot???

Quail hunting for my first time tomorrow morning with an H&R 12 gauge in a farly open chapperel area of southern California. Using simple cheap Federal wallmart ammo. Which size shot is best, 8 or 6, and why? I have found they both work for dove- seem to get longer kill shots (further distance) with the 6 shot. Plan on bringing both with me in the field, but I'd like all the imput I can get.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:41 PM   #2
JerryM

For Western Quail I have found #8 a little light. I prefer 71/2, but my buddies prefer #6. Between 8 and 6 I would go for the #6.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:43 PM   #3
PoorRichRichard

Thanx Jerry
Old October 15, 2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In the southeast, hunting bob whites with a dog means closer shots, so folks generally use #8. Improved cylinder or modified for choke.

Blues in my desert country won't hold for a dog, so shots are commonly longer, as well as having a larger bird as a target. Blues average about half-again the size of a bob white. I use high-brass 7-1/2, and full choke.

#6 will carry killing energy farther than #8, of course.

Patterning a shotgun helps a lot. Evenness of the spread of the shot will vary from one brand to another, for the same size of shot. One brand might be evenly spread across the circle; another might have "holidays" which are large enough to let a bird fly through. One source of paper for testing is your local newspaper, getting the last few feet of a roll of newsprint.
Old October 15, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Daryl

I use #7 1/2 or #6 shot for southern Az quail, with preference falling to the #6's. Shots are sometimes on the long side, and #8's don't seem to do it very well on our larger quail like gambels and scaled.

I use 7 1/2 for our little Mearns quail. Shots are generally close, and they're not quite as big.

Daryl
Old October 15, 2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Deja vu

When I hunt quail in Southern Idaho I use 3 inch 6 shot and a full choke. I all so use this for pheasants.

p.s. I need to note that my wife will not eat Quail shot with lead (even though its fine to hunt with in Idaho). So my experience comes from steal shot.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 15, 2011, 03:36 PM   #7
nice shot

no pro here

Im no pro but I hunt more than a normal person. I would recommend you buy 7 shot. I know you said 8 or 6 but for some quail 6 may be a bit big, same for dove. You should be most successful with 7 shot.

Its perfect for all quail, dove, sporting clays. Make sure you use an appropriate choke tube in your gun.
Old October 15, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Patterning a shotgun helps a lot. Evenness of the spread of the shot will vary from one brand to another, for the same size of shot. One brand might be evenly spread across the circle; another might have "holidays" which are large enough to let a bird fly through. One source of paper for testing is your local newspaper, getting the last few feet of a roll of newsprint.
Very wise information in the words above.

I always patterned all my shotguns with shells that had different shot size so I could see which patterned the best.

I had an A5 Browning that would pattern 6's and 5's as pretty and even a pattern as one could ever want.
That same A5 would not pattern 7&1/2's or 8's of any brand of shell, the patterns had holes in them big enough I could throw my cowboy hat thru them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 15, 2011, 10:22 PM   #9
fatwhiteboy

I also hunt quail in So Cal. For Valley Quail I use 7 1/2's, for Gambel's Quail, I use high base 6's(Those little prixxs run like hell) and for Mountain Quail, I use 4's(Bigger birds, longer shots).