The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2010, 08:23 PM   #1
BarbreJ

800x in .40

I am fairly new to reloading. I only reload .40. I am still on my first thing of powder which is 800x. I choose it based off of good data the Lyman book showed for 180grn HP. I havent had any issues with it and I am happy with it. I am just wondering what everybody else thinks about it. I haven't seen post where people are using it in .40 and just curious why.

I should finish up my first pound in a couple weeks and wondering what I might try this time.

I am shooting 165 FP from Rainer, at about 7.3 grains.

Thanks,
John
Old August 5, 2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Clark

I shoot really hot loads in 40sw, and favor 800X, but it does not meter well.
Alternatively, Power Pistol does meter well and produces lots of power.

Blue Dot is a good powder, but not enough will fit in a 40sw case for my needs, but lots of other people like Blue Dot when they use in 40sw.
Old August 5, 2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Shoney

I've tested 800X in a wide variety of 40 loads. I agree with Clark about not metering well, but it didn't seem to affect the accuracy a great deal. I think that it is nearly impossible to over charge any 40 cartridge into the Kaboom range using 800X.

One thing I did notice, that at near max and above, if you are shooting into a breeze, you will get bits of carbon or unburned powder back in your face.

I found a lot of powders work well but, Power Pistol at or near max, I noted as abusive in recoil. AA #5 and #7 do very well, Blue Dot is excellent in some weights. However, I settled for Universal as my main powder because it meters spot on every throw, produces very good accuracy and velocity in all bullet weights whether in 9Mac, 9Lugar, 40SW, or 45ACP.

My loads notes list 8.0 gr 800X with 40SW 165 gr bullets.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 5, 2010, 06:37 PM   #4
jeffreybehr

Not only does 800X not meter well, but it has HUGE muzzleflash (MF); see http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p548446203 . I understand, but haven't tested it myself, that Red Dot, too, has high MF.

I reloaded Super Field, Longshot, and Universal in .40. If you're after top velocities NOT in a PD load, use Longshot. If you're after low MF and very good velocities, I recommend Universal.
Old August 5, 2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Bluesfan

I have tried several different powders for 40 s&w ,but I keep going back to AA#5
Old August 5, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

how many 180g bullets in "tons"?

I chose Power Pistol for most of my 40 S&W ammo, because I found it the best single choice.
I have 800X and Longshot and AA5 and Universal and Blue Dot and AA7 and many others that I've tested in the 40, using bullets ranging from 135g up to 220g.
I've tested lead, plated, and jacketed.
But my most common load used 180g Rainiers over 6.0g Power Pistol, ignited by CCI500 primers, in once-fired (not-from-Glock) R-P brass cases.

It is safe, accurate, easy-metering, clean, economical, and offers good velocities.
800X meters for crap; it has 'sweet spots', and corresponding 'not-so-sweet spots'. It requires more powder for a given velocity. It provokes night blindness with its flash signature.
I reserve it for very special 10mm only.
Old August 5, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
BarbreJ

Sweet!

Thanks for the input guys. I thought my metering issues were because I couldn't work my Lee safety scale well enough! Going to keep reading about the powders you guys listed, but probably leaning to powder pistol for the next go since it was mentioned so much.

The Muzzel flash pics were pretty cool.

John
Old August 5, 2010, 08:30 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Power Pistol should meter well from the LEE measure(s).