The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 1998, 12:22 PM   #1
fledwell

Does anyone have a good 200 gr lead cast load for Cowboy Action shooting? The loads I have tried vary a lot depending on whether the gun is pointed up or down before firing.

Old December 5, 1998, 05:16 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Fledwell: I assume you're using a pretty light load? Back when God and I were a lot younger, I read of folks using oatmeal on top of the powder, in very light loads, with the bullet compressing everything to prevent mixing.

For the hell of it, one time, I used my 200-gr SWC .45ACP load of 5.8 gr of 231, but in my .44 Mag with 255-gr bullets. Lots of empty case, there. I noticed no "irregularity". If it's the powder which might make a difference, maybe, alternatively, a Bullseye light load? It's easily ignited, which might make the difference if you don't like the oatmeal idea.

Gun-tilt of muzzle-up or -down makes a group-size difference in a Garand, too, with GI ammo. It's nothing new...

Best regards and good luck.
Old December 6, 1998, 08:05 PM   #3
Grayfox

I'm a great fan of the .45 Colt and I've found that this cartridge performs best with heavy bullets. Try a 250 gr RNFP over 7.0 to 8.0 grs of Unique. Also, try using magnum pistol primers, they seem to work better due to the large case capacity.
Old December 10, 1998, 03:39 PM   #4
Walt Welch

Any load that perceptably varies with a muzzle up or down positioning before firing scares me. You are obviously getting a wide swing in pressures.

Art; are you sure you mean oatmeal? Back when God and I were both young what I used was cornmeal.

The difference in velocity with the 30-06 is of a different magnitude. I recall a sargeant who used to be able to work the action in a Springfield in two different manners, both of which appeared to be the same, but would print differently on the target. There was no apprecable difference in recoil, or muzzle blast, however.

Please advise what caliber you are using, what powder, how much, and OAL of cartridges.
If, as I suspect, you are using .45 Colt, you could be in deep trouble shortly. A few years ago there was an article in one of the gun rags where a guy detonated a SAA with a load of green dot, which he had used for years, and was a safe load. The only difference was a change from 250gr. bullets to 200 gr. bullets, increasing cartridge case volume.

The damage to the gun can be distinguished if the cause is detonation, vs a double load, BTW.

The reason why many loads are excluded from loading manuals is because of non-uniformity from shot to shot.

Please advise more details, and I will see if I can help. BTW, some gun mag, either American Handgunner, or American Rifleman, had an article on Cowboy shooting and loads for same about six months ago. Walt
Old November 16, 2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Bob Willman

Oatmeal or any granular material will work for small powder charges in STRAIGHT WALL CASES ONLY. Do not use granular fillers in bottle neck cases. Trying to force oatmeal through the bottle neck will increase pressures drastically. Don't ask me how I know. Kapok fiber will work in all cases to keep the powder charge at the bottom of the case.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old November 16, 2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Dufus

I know it is a little more work involved, but a card wad over the powder works well too. Just don't forget and place the wad before the powder.

Otherwise, use Trail Boss or Black Powder.
Old November 16, 2018, 04:50 PM   #7
USSR

fledwell,

I would suggest a 5.0gr to 5.5gr load of Red Dot. Why Red Dot? It's a bulky powder and will fill the case better while using a light charge weight load.

Don
Old November 16, 2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Bowdog

Been using Trail Boss for 10 years now never had a problem. 5.9- 6 gr with 200 gr. flat point round nose works great.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #9
GeauxTide

Quote:
I'm a great fan of the .45 Colt and I've found that this cartridge performs best with heavy bullets. Try a 250 gr RNFP over 7.0 to 8.0 grs of Unique. Also, try using magnum pistol primers, they seem to work better due to the large case capacity.
I agree with heavy bullets. Mine shoots one hole with 285s and Unique. I completely disagree using Mag primers as they will significantly raise pressure with the fast/medium powders that work so well.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:50 PM   #10
David R

250 -255 grain bullet over 7 to 8 grains unique.

Will give 700 to 850 fps.

Been loading that since 1989.

Ask around, you will find unique to be a most favored powder for 45 colt.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old November 16, 2018, 09:02 PM   #11
CommandoX

I've got to agree with David R and the others that suggested heavier bullets and Unique.

I shoot a BlackHawk with 250gr Bayou Bullets and anywhere from 7 to 9 grains of Unique on a really regular basis. It is a great load that is pleasurable to shoot and very accurate.

If you ever move up in bullet weight fledwell, I'd really recommend trying that.
Old November 16, 2018, 09:22 PM   #12
USSR

Heavy Bullet Guys,

You're missing something:
Quote:
lead cast load for Cowboy Action shooting.
In this specific activity, you're trying to restrict the amount of recoil by using light loads with light bullets.

Don
Old November 16, 2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Wow, this thread is 20 years old....
Old November 16, 2018, 10:23 PM   #14
huntinaz

lol
Old November 16, 2018, 10:25 PM   #15
huntinaz

Hey, Art was still funny 20 years ago. And still old
Old November 17, 2018, 09:03 AM   #16
cdoc42

I don't want to steal this thread but my question might benefit the OP. I just obtained a Taylors Arms (Uberti) .45 Colt, 5-1/2". I have loads worked up to try and I noted above that 250gr is a popular bullet, which leads to my question: are there any concerns about these loads? Velocities are from the manuals. All have CCI 300 primers:

Speer 185gr Unique 10.0gr (934 fps)
Speer 200gr Unique 9.5gr (934 fps)
Hornady 200 gr XTP Titegroup 7.5gr (989 fps)
American Arms CAst 200gr Titegroup 6.7gr (1021 fps)
Hornady 250gr XTP Titegroup 6.3gr (830fps)
Old November 17, 2018, 09:39 AM   #17
Charlie98

Quote:
Velocities are from the manuals.
I don't care about velocities... is the loading data from the manuals?

At first glance, I would say those charges are very near the top of the load data... not something I would start with.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 17, 2018, 10:05 AM   #18
cdoc42

I used the velocities as guide because I'm aware that the .45 Colt shouldn't be loaded to .44 Mag or .454 Casull velocities. Yes, the loads are from the manuals as they coincide with the velocities. It is my impression that velocities under 1000 fps are the norm in this caliber. I was surprised to see that a cast bullet with the same weight as a jacketed bullet, with 11% less charge, produced a velocity over 1000 fps. Of course, these two may not have been from the same manual so it is not accurate to make a comparison.

The charges are, indeed, near the top of the manual maximum, I was hoping someone might comment on experience they may have had at these levels.
Old November 18, 2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
I don't want to steal this thread but my question might benefit the OP.
I doubt it. He posted his question on December 8, 1998, and never posted again. It's a good bet he is no longer paying attention. Bob Willman resurrected this zombie thread. That's something a lot of new members seem to do, while the seasoned ones know to start a new thread so they aren't talking to members who have long-since abandoned board participation (except for Art, in this instance). Anyway, starting a new post on the same subject is generally preferable to zombie revival as you tend to get better participation and the information is then more exclusively up-to-date. In this instance, however, the zombie revival worked. Luck of the draw, as the CAS shooters would say.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 18, 2018, 05:03 PM   #20
Charlie98

Old is new, again!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 19, 2018, 08:55 AM   #21
cdoc42

Learn something every day. I rarely look at the date of post entry.
Old November 19, 2018, 09:11 AM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

I got that impression.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 19, 2018, 11:07 PM   #23
CommandoX

Oops...yea.....20 years ago eh?

Mmmkay, gonna check thread dates a little more carefully in the future.
Old November 19, 2018, 11:35 PM   #24
Bimus

Now I know why Trail Boss was not talked about in the first few posts.