The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 3, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show in Norfolk a BP disappointment

In terms of replica revolvers, there were precisely two in the entire show.

One was a defarbed 1860 (Poorly done) of unknown manufacture. Frame appeared to have been case hardened after the defarbing. A small artifact of the PN proof mark remained on the frame. The finish of the frame after defarbing was not terribly smooth. Some file marks remained. Defarbing of the barrel was good but I would not say the rebluing was very professional. Pistol appeared in good shape but I did not cycle it, so I don't know how well it worked.

Vendor wanted 200.00 and was not budging on the price. I figure if it worked properly it was worth about 140.00 (I just bought a brand new one for under 190.00 delivered from Cabela's. I think you can still get one at that price.)

The other was also an 1860 steel frame from Cabela's in a Cabela's box. The vendor says it was new, but I don't think you can sell such a revolver as new
at a gun show if it is out of the box, which this one was. In its defense it was apparently unfired.

Firm price was 250.00 and I don't consider the revolver to have been worth more than 175.00 at a gun show. Vendor said he had so much in it that he could not budge on the price.

Another interesting pistol was an originial 1849 Colt in .31. Sweet pistol in possibly shootable condition. Cycled well and lineup was good. Price was 795.00. I don't do original pistols but that one might have been a good place to start at about 600.00.

I didn't even buy any caps or powder which I usually do if I don't buy a pistol. Pyrodex was 17.50 and 777 was 23.00. Since I never shoot enough to buy bulk, I generally get powder at the gun shows. But I have plenty. I didn't buy a hot dog or coke.

This gun show was 8.00 bucks wasted.
Old September 3, 2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Hawg

Last one I went to had a NIB 2nd gen 1860 for 900 and a Traditions/CVA G&G .36 for 100. Almost bought the G&G but decided to look around some more. Got a steal of a deal on a 30-30 Winchester.