The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
zombie0hour

Hunting With Air Rifles

These new air rifles that have been coming out are simply amazing. What game have you taken with an Air Rifle before?
Old October 10, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Swampghost

No more amazing than the old ones. My 5 mm Sheridan Bluestreak has taken some pretty good sized racoons and it's 40 yrs. old. Rabbits and squirrels are no problem just keep the shots short and go for the head.
Old October 11, 2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Mavrik

I took a skunk with my grandfather's Benjamin Franklin .22 multi pump pellet gun (I have no idea how old that gun is). It was walking around during the day and we decided to dispose of it as we were worried it might be Rabid. One shot to the back of the head from about 10yrds, he rolled over and twitched twice. I used the pellet gun because my grandfather owned 10 acres of land that was within city limits and I was trying to keep the noise down. Good gun, I inherited it a few years.

Mav
Old October 11, 2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Greybeard

Gotta be careful what ya hunt with 'em. In Tejas at least, air guns are not legal "means" for game animals (of any size).
Old October 11, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
publius

I'll second that praise for the Sheridan ,Swampghost. I got mine when I was probably 12 yrs. old, could barely pump the damn thing. for the past several years it has been in my closet awaiting new seals. I keep saying I'm going to send it to Mac1 for the steroid package, just never get around to it.
Old October 11, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
In Tejas at least, air guns are not legal "means" for game animals (of any size).
Yep, it's ironic that in TX you can't legally take a squirrel (a game animal) with an airgun regardless of caliber or power level but you can legally hunt a feral hog or a mountain lion with an airgun because those animals are classified as nongame animals.

I've not had the opportunity to hunt large game with an air rifle but I have, on a couple of occasions, eaten smoked pork from feral hogs that an acquaintance of mine took with an air rifle.
Old October 12, 2008, 05:25 AM   #7
darkgael

more

If you are interested, here's a link to a thread about hunting with air rifles. It's a short thread. The third post down is worth a look. Some nice shooting.
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...=480705#480705

Pete
Old October 12, 2008, 11:47 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think it is illegal to hunt ANY animals in florida with ANY air rifle. So I cannot go out small game hunting *openly* with my gamo.
Brent
Old October 12, 2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
These new air rifles that have been coming out are simply amazing. What game have you taken with an Air Rifle before?
I can attest to that, thanks to Hogdogs & company. I checked out the different brands and features out there and settled on a Gamo Viper. This gun is amazing.

I haven't taken "game" per se. I'd call it "varminting". I whittled down our local rabbit and ground squirrel population to ease the destruction they're doing.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 12, 2008, 02:23 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To answer what have I taken...
Squirrels, dillars, rabbits, birds, and have dispatched several caged hogs for slaughter with my Gamo Shadow 1,000 using Crosman Premier Hollow points from wally world. I have taken game at 60 yards but feel that is max range for clean kills.
Brent
Old December 20, 2008, 09:14 PM   #11
BUTCHER45

Using my .454 air rifle I have taken: a small wild boar, a corsican ram, nutria, cotton tail/jack rabbits, and I'm using it to hunt bobcats and coyotes hard come the new year.

www.hardcorebigbore.com
Old December 21, 2008, 05:25 PM   #12
JonnyReb

Yup airgunning is returning to its roots. .45 and .50 cal airguns are available for all and without any restrictions other than possibly age. They shoot up to 350 gr. "pellets" and can take down almost anything in north america. Lewis and clark had guns with similar power 200? years ago and they worked just fine. Glad to see them available.

My 2 RWS spring .22's are powerful enough but i sure would like one of those big ones someday...

Interesting to note but i just read that airgunning for anything big game other than exotics is illegal in every state but MO.

Last edited by JonnyReb; December 21, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old December 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Inspector3711

I've got a Gamo Hunter 440 that's been devestating on squirrels and rats... So far I haven't tried it on anything else.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
sc928porsche

I used to hunt squirrels, crows, and rabbits with my .22 cal pump benjiman pellet rifle. That was when I was about 8 or 9. I still have it tucked away amongst all the other rifles I have. About once a year I take it out and clean and oil it (Leather cups on the pump plunger).
Old December 22, 2008, 12:03 AM   #15
Swampghost

publius, I have a guy outside of Orlando that rebuilds for $45.00 plus shipping.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #16

I shot a jackrabbit that was sitting in my yard with my Beeman P1 pistol.

It was facing away from me at about 10 yards and I shot it in the back of the head.

For those of you unfamiliar with jackrabbits, I consider that to be a pretty big and tough animal to kill with an airgun.

I have shot hundreds or possibly thousands of smaller animals over the years with airguns. The jack is by far the biggest.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:15 PM   #17
JonnyReb

But since many birds and mammals are not classified as game animals but instead as pests...

I saw a link one time under airgun news or a similar publication. These two guys got permission from a farmer to rid his barn of pests. The guys used fairly low velocity match rifles and pellets that would not hurt the building.(i guess) They shot dozens of english sparrows, starlings, pigeons, some rats.. Had a blast and helped the farmer. Sounds like fun.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:39 PM   #18
DoctorXring

Air rifle hunting is great. I hunt with an AirArms S410 Carbine in
.22 caliber. Muzzle speed around 925 fps with an 18 grain pellet.
This rifle will shoot inside of a nickle at 50 yards. I hit this gobbler
right between the wing roots as it was turned a way from me.
Dead right there.

dxr

Last edited by DoctorXring; December 23, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:50 PM   #19
JonnyReb

Awesome!!

Not saying this is ethical or that i'd try it but here's gamo's own wildman taking a wild pig with an airgun,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX0y2Pcj_s
Old December 24, 2008, 02:32 AM   #20
hunter33

Everything from sparrows to some huge nutria. Rabbits and smaller are dead under 60 yards. I can put 3 shots touching at 39 yards.
Old December 24, 2008, 02:59 AM   #21
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I shot plum through the head of a big groundhog at 15yds. I've killed a few squirrels as well. I shoot blackbirds once in awhile when they get pretty thick.
Old December 24, 2008, 04:12 AM   #22
onthejon55

I have a friend who is rele into pellet guns and loves shooting pests so he found this dairy farm down the road that has a pigeon problem. we climbed into the loft of a barn thus blocking the only escape and sat there and shot 17 pigeons in about 5 minutes. The reason it took so long was that we were both laughing so hard from seeing all the dead pigeons we cudnt shoot strait!
Old December 24, 2008, 04:51 AM   #23
freakintoguns

big b re air rifles?????? wha????? how??
Old December 24, 2008, 05:42 AM   #24
BUTCHER45

www.hardcorebigbore.com
Old December 24, 2008, 09:52 AM   #25
JonnyReb

Great site Darkgael! http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...=480705#480705