The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Toddd

Update on the Stuck Mag. Tube

I just got home for spring break and went straight for the shop. Hogdogs, i went for a variation of your oven idea. I heated the receiver area with a heat gun. after it got hot! to the touch i held some snow on the mag tube. i immediately took my strap wrench and unscrewed it. easy as pie. gotta love the difference in expansion rates of aluminum to steel. Thanks for the help!

so i got the tube apart and found the source of my feeding problem finally. apparently when the previous owner sent it back to the factory they didnt even find this problem. for some unknown reason the spring was very bent and kinked. i just straightened it to the best of my abilities and its cycling shells like a dream now. It will work for now until i can get my hands on a new spring. which might not be for a while.
thanks again hogdogs
Old March 14, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You are most welcome! It pays to remember these things from other stuations...
I learned the heat cool thing when I built my dad's Moto Guzzi engine as a kid and we wanted to reduce costs so we installed the new valve guides and seats our self using the oven and "therm cool" aerosol spray and they fell out...
Brent