The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 12, 2001, 12:32 PM   #1
Andrewh

I noticed on most of the posts concerning coach guns for cas, that they are internal hammers. Why is this? Just speed? or do the externals have breakage problems?
Old March 12, 2001, 01:04 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

The external hammer guns evolved from the flintlock smoothbore, which itself gave way to the percussion fired smoothbore and finally, to internal hammers. Check out W.W. Greener's, The Gun and its Development (Someone correct me if I quoted the title wrong - thanks!). So, for CAS, the external hammers are more appropriate.
Old March 13, 2001, 08:13 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Except in the hands of a very experienced shooter, a hammerless double will be faster than a hammered double. With proper technique, a hammered double can be shot very fast. And, a lot of the hammered guns are older, and breakage may mean a tough hunt for the replacement part. Hammerless doubles were around in the Old West, but prevalence depends on the time period.

Bellicose Bill
Old March 13, 2001, 08:28 AM   #4
Andrewh

Thanks for the info guys.