The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #26
JN01

Quote:
BS on all of that crap. It aint a toy. If it has any issues get rid of it, You can not bet your life on something that does not work. That includes the GEN4 GLOCK. They dont work right either. I have a Glock GEN3 shot it with all kinds of ammo and never missed a beat. Hell thats one reason you pay $1 a round for defence ammo. GET WHAT WORKS!!!!!
Actually, it HAS worked flawlessly with all ammo other than 115 grain loads. My main carry gun is, and will continue to be, a Gen 3 Glock 26. I've had 4 Glocks, and out of thousands of rounds fired, I believe I only had 2 malfunctions total. They are extremely reliable in my experience. HOWEVER, there have been issues with various models of Glocks in various generations. A particular specimen can have issues.

If it is something that can be easily corrected, I'm OK with that, no need to dump it. On the other hand, if I have a gun that has continuous issues, I certainly wouldn't rely on it for self defense. If it is more trouble than its worth, I get rid of it. If I like it otherwise, I may just keep it and and it may just be a (range) toy after all.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:42 PM   #27
JN01

OK, range report for today.

Fired 100 rounds of dreaded WWB 115 gr., 100 rounds of Federal 115 gr FMJ, and 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ.

Towards the last of the Winchesters, I had 2 FTE, however, at that point I realized that I had not lubed the gun after I got it back. Put some Tetra Grease on the rails and went back to shooting.

Towards the last of the Federals, I had 1 FTE, my grip wasn't as firm as it should of been, so I'm not sure if that one was the gun or me.

PPUs fired without a hitch.

So is it fixed or not? I would have liked to have had NO malfunctions, but I'm not sure at this point. The three FTEs today could possibly have been due to my errors, or perhaps there is an issue aside from the extractor.

I need to shoot it some more. I feel it has been quite reliable with the heavier weight bullets, but think a few more need to go down range before I completely trust it.

A couple more boxes of 115 grain loads without any shooter induced problems should let me know if they are going to continue to be a problem as well. At least they are working better than they were at first.

Gun still shoots a little to the left for me, but after I got home from the range, the sight tool that I ordered was waiting in the mail box, so that issue will soon be corrected.

I just didn't like the stock grips, so I got some G10s from Spresser Knife Works. They are slightly thicker than stock (.20" compared to .16") but taper toward the edges to give the grip a much nicer feeling oval shape as opposed to a 1 x 2. I think the gray in them also complements the silver colored controls also.

I'm still having mixed feelings about this gun- frustrated with the problems, but love shooting it. Out from about 15 yards today, I had to hold off to compensate for the sights not being adjusted for me, but when I ignored them for some point shooting drills, I was regularly nailing clay targets, no sweat.

Old October 13, 2012, 11:21 PM   #28
mudgun83

JN, I have a 938 with about 350 rounds through it now. I had two FTEs in the first 2 mags through and absolutely no problems since. I use primarily 115gr FMJ for practice, but have also fired Remington Golden Sabre 124gr, Hornaday Critical Defense 115gr, and the new DRT frangible rounds with no problems at all. I clean the gun after each use and lube with Militec. I too have added slightly thicker grips and also have the extended mag - that gives you a place for the pinky and really helps with the grip. Try it.
I think the 938 is a super pistol and is my primary carry. I have posted elsewhere that I also have a Kimber Solo which also works perfectly. IMO, though, the 938 recoil is a bit milder and I settle back on target a bit quicker than with the Solo, which is why I have elected to go with the 938.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:14 AM   #29
Pilot

JN01,

What did you use to polish the chamber? Any special tool or polishing compound?

I looked at a 938 at a LGS yesterday, and really liked it. I have been contemplating a sub compact 9MM, and since I like the 1911 platform and SAO trigger, I am thinking of picking up one of these instead of a Walther PPS or S&W Shield.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:47 PM   #30
JN01

I used a wire handled bluing applicator (has a spherical head of a soft material) from a Birchwood Casey kit (http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Fini...e-ce5162d90f89) chucked in a variable speed drill with Mother's Mag polish.

You want to use a gentle polish like Mothers, Flitz or something similar, not a grinding compound that is going to take off a bunch of metal. I think the red polish they give you in a Dremel kit is probably too aggressive. Do it slow and easy, it doesn't take a lot of effort.

It seems that people who are buying 938s from later in production are having fewer issues, you may not need to do anything to it.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:11 PM   #31
JN01

Put some more rounds through the 938, including 100 WWB and 50 Federal 115 grain. 3 FTE for the 115 grain loads, so it continues to be a problem, though much less frequently now. Still 100% reliable with heavier bullets. Moved the rear sight over a tiny bit, and it shoots to the center now.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:10 PM   #32
AdrianVall

I'm hoping to buy the 938 this coming weekend. I hope it runs smoothly!
Old November 4, 2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
There is no way I would ever trust that one or even keep it. Sig would now be a dirty word to me. There is no excuse for selling something especially a gun with those kinds of problems. I would officially write Sig off in the future. That is just me though. I have a low tolerance for low quality.
IMO, that is a little overboard, especially if it's his first and only Sig. If I lived by the same standard, there would be a very limited selection of guns for me to choose from. Just to give you an idea, here are some of the guns I own or owned at some point and needed to go back to the factory..

Sig 239 - FTE's, broken roll pin. Both replaced on Sigs dime and I'm still carrying it to this day. Nary an issus since.

Kahr CW9 - Extractor and firing pin issues. Kahr fixed it, I sold it.

S&W - 637, cracked hammer, misaligned barrel. S&W replaced the frame and it's now my EDC.

Walther/Uramax P22 - Too many issues to list. Replaced by S&W or whoever runs the show. Sold by me shortly after.

Glock 26 - Extractor issues. Repaired by Glock and sold by me shortly after.

Springfield Micro - All kinds of issues. Replaced by Springfield, sold by me.

Taurus Revolvers - Quite a few and they all had issues. I have none left and will never own another.

Kimber Ultra & Pro - All kinds of trouble, multiple trips back but issues never resolved. Both sold with full disclosure and at a huge loss.

That's a pretty good sampling of the major manufacturers out there, although I still have not given CZ a chance to screw me. In due time, there a few models I've always liked... Anyway, despite all those issues, the only ones from the list I consider a "dirty word" are Kimber and Taurus. Why? Because the product they sold me was not worth the price and the customer service was awful.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #34
AdrianVall

I think the moral of the story is.. any manufacturer can have a dud. However, I dont think this will deter me from buying the P938.

I bought a Kimber Raptor II that has just been incredible to shoot! No failures of any kind through 300 rounds but has also been cleaned/lubed after each use. I bought it hearing all the mixed reviews. Many being terribly negative and many being highly positive.

Out of the mass numbers of guns being produced, there are a few on the forums that come here to complain about the guns they are having troubles with but you don't hear half of the praises about a particular gun either.. it just sounds so negative because the few you hear bad from are usually pretty bad.. make any sense?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket S2
Old November 9, 2012, 09:43 AM   #35
dlancello

Pocket 9MM

I was one of the first to own a Kimber Solo and I was a little dismayed to hear Kimber say that it worked best with heavy bullitts. I do all my own reloading and have been doing so for 30+ years and after some research found that the 1911 design needs that extra bullitt mass to function reliably. Remember it was designed for the heavy .45 bullitt and the heavy steel slide. I have also found that the sub compact 9MMs like a firm grip. I can load 115 grn to a max load and my little solo will function ok but not good enough for CCW. Use a premium 124 or 147 grn defense load(Hornady critical defense or critical duty) and you won't have any worries.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:59 AM   #36
RC20

Quote:
BS on all of that crap. It aint a toy. If it has any issues get rid of it, You can not bet your life on something that does not work. That includes the GEN4 GLOCK. They dont work right either. I have a Glock GEN3 shot it with all kinds of ammo and never missed a beat. Hell thats one reason you pay $1 a round for defence ammo. GET WHAT WORKS!!!!!
I got a S&W MP15 22, worked its way up to running like crap.

Sent back, despite the rep for being picky, it shot anything I put in it after.

I would buy another S&W.

Sig junk SP2022 (at least price wise) has been flawless with a wide variety or rounds that is probably norht of 1500

Famous reliable you can put cement in it and and it will run glock has all sorts of failures, hmmm.

There is a term for connecting one incident and making a conclusion. Its called superstition.

In this case the OP may indeed have an issue as it should shoot the 115s.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #37
wdh

Just got my P938, after running about 50 rounds of Fed 115 grain and had
many failures FTE, etc. I then cleaned and tried again with WWB 115 Grains
again a few failures. I was on the verge of calling Sig, then I tried a different stance w/no limp wrist etc. The next 12 magazines were error free, maybe its not always the gun but, our own problems. Just my own thoughts.
Bill
Old December 5, 2012, 08:10 PM   #38
9mm

Just picked up another 150 rounds to run testing through mine in two weeks. I fired 250 rounds (see review I made) and only had 2 FT-FIRE with 115grain. I had 2-4 FT-FEED/jams with 7 round extender magazines.

We have to remember these are small pocket guns, they can jam, and have problems more so than thicker,heavier,bigger guns.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:22 PM   #39
AdrianVall

I will be taking out my new P938 extreme and P238 SAS to the range this coming Monday. Hopefully I don't have any problems!

I'll keep you all updated.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:07 AM   #40
915A

looked at one today, like the fit and feel of it and the trigger. But all the FTE reports are turning me off. So back to searching for the Shield for the Mrs.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:19 AM   #41
AdrianVall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915A View Post
looked at one today, like the fit and feel of it and the trigger. But all the FTE reports are turning me off. So back to searching for the Shield for the Mrs.
Ill be taking mine to the range on Monday for the first time.. I'll post back that night hopefully with a range report. =)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy
Old December 7, 2012, 11:26 AM   #42
915A

Thanks man, look forward to it.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:01 PM   #43
9mm

I also should have a range report next week, either in this post or in the main forum here. I have 250 rounds through it, but putting another 150.