The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
rep1954

1849 Wells Fargo cartridge conversion

A while back I got a Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo that I was less than thrilled with. While the outside fit and finish was nice the action and inside finishing to say the least usable. I had planed to make this a 32 SW conversion from the get go and ordered a R&D cylinder at the same time as the gun. After my dissatisfaction with the gun in the beginning I chose to let it sit awhile for a cool off period. This last weekend I got down and dirty with it and cleaned it up and smoothed the action on the inside. Well I'm happy with how it all turned out and I'm taking it to the range tomorrow with a box of Winchester lead round nose 85gr to try it out. I will give a report on it tomorrow night after I shoot it.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Shotgun693

While I generally like .45s, I've always wanted one of these for a fun gun. I'm really wanting to see your results.
Old August 7, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I will give a report on it tomorrow night after I shoot it.
Looking forward to your report.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 7, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
rep1954

Well put up a small target at 8 yds. to see where it was shooting to and nothing was on the target. I decided after some investigating that my shots were going way high. I put up two pieces of paper one above the other with a Post It on the bottom piece. I was shooting a 2 1/2" group but about 8" high and 2" to the left. I'm thinking this might be a gun best left to one handed point shooting after all I believe that that is what it was meant for, any way it should prove to be fun on cans close up.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Dan_D

Did you try the percussion cylinder in it as well?
I'd be interested to hear how that patterned in comparison.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
rep1954

Dan I bought the gun and conversion at the same time and have only shot the conversion.