The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2011, 01:24 AM   #1
trg42wraglefragle

Shotgun Reloading

Hi,
I recently asked a question about poor patterning with buckshot, and was told I should try buying good quality (with means stupidly expensive) ammo.
So I was wondering, can you reload your own buckshot ammo that has the good patterning you get from using Premium ammo like the Federal Flight control stuff.

Thanks.
Old August 26, 2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Edward429451

I don't know because I have never loaded and patterned buckshot. I do know that I am basically a novice shotgun reloader and I cast and loaded slugs on my first try that let me hit a 12 X 24 target at 100 yds repeatedly with an 18" police barrel and a bead, offhand. With factory slugs I'm good only out to about 50 or 60 yards with them so this was such a significant improvement that I would say yes I bet you can. I'd look for a buckshot load using Unique powder if it was me.

Sorry I don't have the load for you.
Old August 26, 2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Missionary

Good morning
Yes you can reload buckshot that will pattern as good as expensive factory produced ammo.
I highly recommend you purchase Lymans rescent edition of shotgun loading. Also BPI (Balistics Products Inc) has a great site for shotgun wads and reloading supplies that will help you along.
Consider also the Castboolits site as there there a board devoted to Shotgun Reloading and numerous threads exist all about buckshot does & donts.
Personally I view buckshot as a hunting / repel boarders load out to 20 yards max. Then I would swtch to round ball for out to 40 yards. If I need more distance than that then I would be switching to a rifle of caliber.30 and happily reaching out accurately.
Mike in Peru
Old August 26, 2011, 08:00 AM   #4
243winxb

Your handloads will need a plastic buffering agent & very hard shot or plated shot. To much choke (full) can deform the shot on firing, making it not round anymore. Round shot flys/groups better. Balistics Products should have the components you need. Lower velocity loads will pattern tighter than high velocity. On firing there is less set back of the pellet, causing flat spots.