The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
cheezhed

what spring weight

What weight spring should I use in a stock steel framed commander?
I use mostly a semi mild reload of 5.1 grns of 231 behind a 200 grn. semiwadcutter. will this function a 20 pound spring? I think a 18 pound spring is stock.
Old July 1, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Clark

I just measured mine by taking out the magazine and hanging a rope in the trigger guard while I pull up on the slide. Then I weighed the weights I had to hang on the rope.

It measures ~ 31 pounds.

I got that pistol ~ 13 years ago used with various custom changes, and one was the Sprinco recoil reducer assembly. It feels like I put a beefier recoil spring around the recoil reducer.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 1, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
GURU1911

Recoil spring question

According to mr. Bill wilson's "1911 maintenance guidelines" here is the info you requested:

Commander (.45 acp): Light target loads----#12
full power loads------#20

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old July 1, 2011, 06:47 PM   #4
sidewindr

I'm running a 15# spring for my mild/moderate loads and it helped quite a bit on felt recoil.If you run a lighter spring just remember to not shoot full power loads in it,you'll bash the heck out of your frame. My stock was 18.5# I believe ,PT1911.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:13 PM   #5
GURU1911

Mr. Sidewinder

The forum member was requesting recoil spring weights for use in his "commander" size 1911 pistol. The spring compression weights you were quoting, is for a full-size gov. Model (taurus 1911) which you currently own.

Recoil springs for the commander & government model are not interchangeable with each other. The recoil spring for the commander is shorter in overall length & requires a different compression rating.

Guru1911

Old July 1, 2011, 11:43 PM   #6
sidewindr

sorry about, that I kind of thought they were the same and it was the "officers" model that is different. Someday you'll have to explain all the differences between them, this is my first forray into 1911's
Old July 2, 2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

Quote:
What weight spring should I use in a stock steel framed commander?
I use mostly a semi mild reload of 5.1 grns of 231 behind a 200 grn. semiwadcutter. will this function a 20 pound spring? I think a 18 pound spring is stock.
For the load you have listed I would try an 18 pound variable recoil spring, however you may have to drop down to a 16 pound variable.
I set my commanders up with 18 pound variable power recoil spings and even shoot +P ammo in them with no ill effects.
I've seen many shooters over spring their 1911's and all they are doing is increasing the forward battering the gun is receiving.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; July 2, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old July 2, 2011, 07:54 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Recoil springs for the commander & government model are not interchangeable with each other. The recoil spring for the commander is shorter in overall length & requires a different compression rating.
Not according to Wolf Gunsprings.

From Wolf:
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...cID1/mID1/dID2

"COLT COMMANDER SERIES PISTOlRecoil Springs
Recoil springs for Colt Commander series pistols are available in both conventional and variable power designs. Please refer to our FAQ section for information on conventional vs. variable design. Each recoil spring for Colt pistols includes an extra power firing pin spring. Recoil Calibration Paks are available offering a range of spring weights to tune your pistols recoil function.

CONVENTIONAL RECOIL SPRINGS - .45 ACP

Reduced Power...: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 18 Lb."
Old July 2, 2011, 09:38 AM   #9
GURU1911

MR. DAHERMIT

You can believe what you want to, but the recoil springs are not interchangeable with each other. The government model, commander, & officer models do not use the same recoil spring. Yes, the compression weight ratings may be similar, but the overall length is not the same.

Example: The gov. Model spring is 5.750" in length.
The commander model recoil spring is 5.125" in length.

If you still think i am wrong, then you need to take this up with bill wilson, john nowlin, ed brown, or walter wolff.

I rest my case.

Guru1911

Old July 2, 2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Clark

The force could be the same, but the springs different. For a full sized, the more massive slide and barrel as well as the gentle slope of Hooke's Law for a longer spring, would combine to allow the full sized to be tuned for hotter ammo with the same peak force when the slide is pulled back. If you are still reading this you are a nerd.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 2, 2011, 04:30 PM   #11
dahermit

Whoops!!! I was wrong...I misread the Wolff Gunsprings chart. It does list a different part number and specifies "Commander" in its discription.
My Bad!
Old July 3, 2011, 05:12 PM   #12
GURU1911

MR. HERMIT

You are hereby officially forgiven----all contributors to this forum periodically make mistakes, but the real men have no problem admitting when they are incorrect.

I have apologized for verbal blunders at least 5 times since joining this forum in 2010 !!!!!!

The majority of gunfolk i have personally known in the past 50 years seriously want to be correct especially when giving advice & council to other shooters of less knowledge or life experience.

Thanks !!!! Guru1911