The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2001, 11:49 AM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

My mother has expressed an interest in trying out trap shooting. The only gun I have is a "riot" 20ga pump.

What I need is shotgun with
-minimal recoil
-light weight
-simple machanism

Two thoughts: a .410 double would be all of those but ineffective. OTOH, my mother would likely have as much fun shooting at stationary cans or a milk jug ona rope as at clays.

20ga gas operated autoloader: heavy and relatively complex but not much recoil, effective on clays.

Or am I dreaming that she can bust clays and should stick to a .410 of some sort and milk jugs at 20ft just so she'd get familiar with the operation of the gun? Her current house gun is a Buckmark and that's likely the most handgun she can use...a .410 with S&B buck (5 00 bellets) or #4 shot ought to do better.
Old April 17, 2001, 12:19 PM   #2
Christopher II

You might try a Remington 1100 LT-20. IT's the 20ga. lightweight version of the 1100. Weighs about six pounds and is mighty comfortable to shoot. Porting and a target-style dropped buttplate (with pad) would make it even more comfortable.

If your Mom wants to try her hand at trap, start her out with stationary clays at around thirty feet, so she can get a feel for stance and how to hold.

Later,
Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old April 17, 2001, 01:36 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
A 20ga semi-auto would be good choice, though the hardcore trap shooters will tell ya she'll never be competitive with a 20ga.... if that matters. I think you'll find that a good semi-auto is actually lighter than the pumps or double barrels.

My preference is the Benelli Montrefeltro, the gun is a pure delight. With 26" barrel it's a feather weight at less than 5 1/2 pounds, extremely simple mechanically (no gas system), super-high build quality, and tough as nails. The only downside is NIB it'll set you back around $800. I'm a hunter not a gamer, Benellis rule the hunt and for upland game the Montrefeltro is near perfection.

A lot of shooters like the Beretta AL391, it's a nice shotgun too. In 20ga it's about half a pound heavier and it's gas operated. The combination of the weight and the lower muzzle velocity due to the gas system makes it softer to shoot. It's also cheaper, I think in the $600 range.

A Remington 11/87 or 1100 is another way to go but they're fairly heavy (I may be wrong, but I thought the Rem 20ga was closer to 7 lbs) and Remington build quality is hit or miss. My brother-in-law got a 11/87 for Christmas, it need repairs right out of the box and as far as I know it's still at Remington. He bought it as Wal-Mart and they wouldn't take it back, which is a lesson unto itself! IIRC Rem semi-autos are in the $500 to $550 range.

Somehow the .410 got the reputation as the "beginner's" shotgun. IMO when it comes to flying targets it's more of an expert's weapon because it's so hard to hit with. Even buying a new .410 is getting hard since so few guns are chambered for it anymore. Get your mom a good 20ga with 3" chamber, it'll do anything a 2 3/4" 12ga will and weigh 1-2 lbs less.

Oh, at first I thought this was "Shotgun for Mother-in-Law".... that's another subject.

Old April 17, 2001, 03:21 PM   #4
Bam Bam

How about a Franchi 48AL in 20ga? new is about $500-600.
Old April 17, 2001, 05:17 PM   #5
K80Geoff

The Remington 1100LT 20 is your best bet. Their quality is excellent and they are designed for youngsters and women. More shooters have started with this gun than any other. The Beretta is heavier and much more expensive. The 20 ga is enough gun to break clays, you won't go win the Grand but it is a good gun to learn the basics with.

The quality of the 11-87 is spotty, but the 1100 has always been a quality gun. You will see few if any 11-87s on the clays courses, but the 1100 is a staple gun for clays shooters.

If you ask around you may be able to find a good used 1100LT. Many shooters start their kids with them and eventually they will graduate to a better gun.

Why not check at the local Trap and Skeet club, often they rent guns and your mom will be able to sample trap without making a considerable monetary committment.

Geoff Ross
Old April 17, 2001, 06:21 PM   #6
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Geoff,

"Au contraire mon Frair."

With a 26" barrel the 1100 is the heaviest at 6.75 lbs, then the Beretta AL391 at 5.9 lbs, lightest is the Benelli Montrefeltro at 5.4 lbs. Just checked my catalogs.

Good advice otherwise, a used 1100 is probably the best route.
Old April 17, 2001, 06:43 PM   #7
K80Geoff

I hate French!

OK so next time I will check the catalogs. I am used to the 390 and it sure feels heavier than the 1100

Apparently there are 1100LT20 and 1100LT 20 youth models with shorter stocks. My catalog doesn't give the weights

The Benelli Montefeltro is a nice gun, but are they available? The only Montefeltros I have seen were those Ducks Unlimited 28ga guns of several years ago. Took a lot of chits on several guns but didn't win

I personally hate autoloading shotguns but will make an exception for the 1100. Nothing like watching young shooters beat me with their 1100s

Geoff Ross
Old April 18, 2001, 12:33 AM   #8
Dave R

My advice: don't start her on a .410. It is a better gun for experienced shooters who want a challenge. You ideas for a soft-shooting 20 ga. are much better. Don't forget to start off with soft loads, too. Makes a big difference.

If your "riot" 20ga has a decent stock, and not a pistol grip, it may work??
Old April 18, 2001, 09:07 AM   #9
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Sigh. My 20ga is far to large for her (long stock) and too heavy. We agreed that she can't use it and that she'd best start on stationary pop cans and milk jugs on strings using a 410 (500 Bantam or a double). However, she won't let me buy her a shotgun because she won't take up the hobby seriously and so we are back to using her Buckmark. Maybe I can find a very cheap .410 somewhere and claim it was borrowed
Old April 20, 2001, 11:56 PM   #10
Doc Hudson

Have you considered buying a youth length butt-stock, and possibly a longer barrel?

The shorter stock should fit your Mom well enough and depending on the type of shotgun, it should not be hard to swap back and forth with the original stock after a range session.

Doc Hudson
Old April 21, 2001, 07:52 AM   #11
K80Geoff

Gun for Mom

Have you considered a 28 gauge. I believe that H & R made a single shot 28. This might be the best bet especially if you have to cut down the stock tro fit your Mom.

28 GA is far superior to 410 in it's ability to hit targets and the ammo costs the same. (Both 410 and 28 ammo are not cheap!) Very little recoil from most guns.

Remington and Franchi both make autoloading guns for the 28, and Remington and several others make pumps.

Briley makes a set of drop in tubes to convert 12 ga O/U and single shot break open guns to 28 ga.

28 ga is the most underrated gauge out there. It is an excellent gauge to introduce shooters to shotgunning. If you reload the savings per box in 28 gauge will pay for the reloading equipment in short order.

I wish the manufacturers would get their heads out of their butts and promote this gauge. Skeet shooters have been shooting it for years and they seem happy with it. It is a great compromise betwen the recoil of the 20 and the lack thereof of recoil in the 410. throws better patterns and has more effective range than 410.

My $.02 again

Geoff Ross
Old April 21, 2001, 08:49 PM   #12
misstargets

shotgun for mother

That is great your mother wants to start trapshooting! It is a fun sport! Make sure whatever gun she uses is that it fits her well.

I personally use a 1100 Classic Trap that was hurting me until I got it fitted correctly. These guns are not known for a recoil problem. Using 1 oz of 8's or Low recoil STS's also has helped. The weight of over 8# does not bother me in the least.

Like my screen name says...I am not the best, but sure do have a lot of fun. Encourage her to try trap..She will love it!

Good luck to you both.