The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 17, 2011, 08:25 AM   #1
toreroalum

Older Rem Mod 700 Recoil Pad

Does anyone have any good referrals as to where I could locate a good modern-day recoil pad like the Remington Super-Cell that would fit on an older Model 700 (Manuf in '71)? Per Remington's website their Super-Cell fits their 1999 and newer 700s.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
CowTowner

Made by LimbSaver if memory serves.
http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/38....php#precision

Grind to fit may be the option you require.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 17, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
toreroalum

Thanks CowTowner, I have just sent an e-mail to their sales folks to see if they have a precison-fit that will work with my older 700, if not, I guess the slip-on could work.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:36 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Slip ons suck , they add too much to LOP and if left on they discolor the stock !
Old August 17, 2011, 10:42 AM   #5
CowTowner

I'm not a fan of the slip-on type either. Grind to fit would be my choice if they don't have a specific pre-fitted model.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 17, 2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Scorch

Most older Rem 700s had a curved plastic buttplate on them. If you are going to fit a grind-to-fit recoil pad to the rifle, you will need to cut the stock and grind it flat so the pad can be screwed onto it.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Doyle

I don't recommend getting a pre-fit pad for a rifle that old unless you can personally verify that it will fit your stock exactly. The reason is that manufacturers will make subtle changes to their stock shape/size over the years. A pre-fit pad that works perfectly on this year's stock might not fit so well on a stock that was made 20 years ago. It is really easy to shape a grind-to-fit pad to your exact stock. I use an ordinary belt sander held upside down on a bench. There is a great Larry Potterfield video on Youtube that will show you how to do it.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Jerry45

I searched and searched for one for my 71 Rem. 700 30-06. Nope, noda didn’t fined one. For one thing the original takes 4 screws. Everything I found was two screw pads. Ended up with a LimbSavor slip-on. Worked very well! Then I purchased a Boyds Thumbhole stock that came with a recoil pad and I put a muzzle break on. Sweeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 19, 2011, 09:34 AM   #9
oneoldsap

A Suggestion

Jerry 45 , Remington did not use 2 piece but plates in 1971 , your stock is probably not original to your gun ! The number of screw holes in the but is immaterial as you don't usually use them with a new pad . You will not find a pad with 4 holes in it anywhere ! I dowel them and start from scratch . You might take a look at a pre fit pad for a Rem. built after 1989 , as I think that's when they went to the 2 piece butt plates !
Old August 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Jerry45

oneoldsap, I bought the rifle new so I know the but-plate is original / factory. Now that I think about it I may have purchased it in 72, 73 or 74. It’s not a two piece, its one piece of plastic \ bakelight or whatever was in use at the time. It has screws top and bottom and on the right and left side center.

Sure, I could have purchase a aftermarket pad, sanded it to fit the couture of the stock (did that for one of my shotguns) and drilled new mounting holes in the stock (holes in pad for shotgun just happened to match) but I wanted the stock / rifle kept so it could be returned to original condition. Now that I’ve put a muzzle-brake on it that’s out the window. But it sure did tame the recoil.
Old August 19, 2011, 03:21 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Generaly if I have a stock I'd like to preserve and want to hunt with the gun I'll snag another stock for that purpose , and switch them ! Long action Rem. Stocks are pretty reasonably priced on the auction sights ! I've bought the synthetics for as little as $30.00 .
Old August 19, 2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Jerry45

Put it in a Boyd’s. I’ve installed a lower set of scope rings and pulled off the slip-on pad since this picture was taken.

Last edited by Jerry45; August 19, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:05 AM   #13
hooligan1

Midway USA, Brownell's, Numrich, all of these might help you find what your are looking for but there might be some "grind to fit" going on.
Old August 20, 2011, 01:51 PM   #14
publius

To do it properly, you are going to have to gring to fit. Limbsaver is a very good pad. Between a limbsaver and a muzzle brake you will be amazed. I have to second the idea of getting another stock and keeping your original. You can find original stocks relatively cheap lot's of places. I bet your local gunsmith has several laying around from putting synthetics on customers guns.