The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 29, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Maybe a strange question... but does anyone practice shooting while doing athletic...

sports ???

I had a major milestone birthday this last year, & took up rollerblading ( maybe just to prove I'm not too old ??? ) but anyway, I carry my CCW while rollerblading, as I go on a secluded paved section that goes through the woods along the lake here in town ( I usually go out after work, or over my lunch )...

I've been thinking about practicing ( since I live out in the country, & have land along a paved road ) with my skates on...

I also used to cross country ski alot, & have been thinking about doing it again this winter, with a "shooting twist" ... maybe slinging up a rifle, & carrying a handgun in a tactical thigh holster, & dropping to prone at a set place for rifle shooting, or shooting a handgun at one or several targets along my path, while standing on skis...

this has gotten me curious if anyone else ever practices from / with their athletic or power sports other hobbies ???

ever shoot at targets from your boat, ATV or while on a motorcycle, or while jogging, biking, sking, rollerblading ??? ( I know some of you horse back riders do this ) I think it could be both interesting & fun, & probably eye opening... ( I'm picturing myself rollerblading along the smooth paved road along our property, with the 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan on my belt, & pulling the trigger once while standing on wheels... ( cross country skis as likely would have the same result )

hmmm... note to self... just put one bullet in the gun at a time, until you've proven you can do it

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 29, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old July 29, 2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Great idea old man! Just bring along enough .454 ammo and you won't have to work at all to propel yourself. Just keep firing and you will be rocket propelled!

I have taken a couple shots at coyotes while sitting on a horse, but we were standing still at the time. I do remember watching my dad shoot a mule deer in the back of the head riding a horse at a dead run while jumping over and around sage brush. The old man didn't do a whole lot of hunting or shooting after he got married but I was impressed that day. He jumped that buck and it took off at a run. He spurred right after him and got his 30-30 out of the scabbard and cocked the hammer back and took the shot with no hesitation at all. Maybe he was just lucky but I was still impressed.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:21 AM   #3
ISC

look in tactics and training, there have been several threads about this and other stress shooting techniques there. Of course, they like to lock threads lik that up for some reason, so maybe this is the right place for it.
Old July 30, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
MO. Shootin

Me and my brother where goofing around with my co2 bb pistol.
we would be in a truck and drive from one point to another and make a shot on a silouet target and then park the truck and run to an air rifle and fire at 40 yards for score, timed. After a couple times of that we felt like we where tearing up his truck so we used a 4 wheeler. It really was fun. 4 wheeler was much harder.

We where just bored cuzz the bass where not biting and there is not much to do in the summer. We have not done any more moving vehicle shots since.

I would be very hesitant to do anything like that with a real gun.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:48 AM   #5
EdInk

Cross country ski + Rifle Shoot = Biathalon.

Yeah... I think it's been tried before.
Old July 30, 2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Buzzcook

http://minnesotabiathlon.com/

Maybe these guys could help.
Old July 31, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Nope. Since I got old and fat, and my cross country mobility became...challenged I just shoot for recreation. I don't even play the shooting games that involve the run dodge and jump. I leave that to those young...at heart.