The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
champ198

any opinions on the Choate stocks??

with getting this Rem 700 7MM mag im working on a listtle list of parts to makei t better. the one thing im kinda a little lost on is a stock. most i have found need a Varmit contour. but i am not planning on rebarreling the gun. the Choate stocks are a pretty good price and are more of the style stock i want but i dont really know anything about them.
thought i would ask some of you all and see what you thought of them.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Scorch

Ugly, heavy, ugly, not really very comfortable, ugly, molded plastic, ugly. They are also not my favorite stock for appearances. My suggestion any time someone mentions looking at them is to suggest they look somewhere else.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Mobuck

Some of the Choate stocks are "utilitarian" in shape and feel. There are stocks listed on auction sites that will function fine. Many Rem 700's have been cannibalized for the action and the excess parts are being sold. Boyd's sells a number of decent stocks for under $150. I've bought 700 factory synthetic stocks on ebay for $25+shipping.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4
PawPaw

I picked up a project rifle two years ago that happened to have a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock. Ugly as heck, and I took it off the rifle and restocked it with a more traditional stock. However, my son had an identical action and liked the look of the Choate stock, so he installed it on his rifle.

It added about a pound to the weight of the rifle, but it also turned what had been a MOA rifle into a half MOA rifle. Personally, I still think that it's ugly as all get-out, but it turned that rifle into a marvelous shooter.

Your mileage might vary.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 20, 2012, 05:38 PM   #5
griff383

They are ok but no great. Fit and finish is not perfect but you can drop in an action with out any modifications. As posted earlier, they are big, ugly, and somewhat clunky.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:29 PM   #6
tobnpr

Whatever....

You either like their looks, or you don't, like any other stock.

They are heavy...my son has his Savage .308 in a Tactical for bench shooting, I don't think I'd want to tote one around... We like it...

Subject to your personal opinion on looks and ergonomics, they shoot just fine.

I think that F-Class, WORLD CHAMPION, Russell Simmonds would agree...

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek096.html

Kinda goes to show you don't need a $1,000 MCM to shoot, huh?

Last edited by tobnpr; September 20, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:39 PM   #7
1tfl

I tried one many years ago and I agree that they are ugly, heavy and fit/finish was not great but they worked well. For me the stock fit my shooting style and physical size very well. It took a 3/4 MOA rifle and made it (kept it) as a 3/4 MOA rifle. I was happy with it and price was right (about$100). I still have that rifle/stock in my safe.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:44 PM   #8
bamaranger

got one

I've built an FTR rifle on a Savage action and the green Choate Sniper.

Heavy, but it soaks up recoil. A degree of adjustable comb height and length of pull. A very stable V-bedding block. The stock will free float a monster barrel. For the price, I think its a deal.

But, you won't hump it far, and it doesn't seem adaptable to much more than prone shooting from a pod. The rail on bottom was a bit of a hassle and required two adapters for two different bipods, but I figured it out.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Txhillbilly

I've got 3 Choate stocks-2 Tactical,1 Ultimate Varmint.While the Ultimate Varmint,and Sniper stocks are butt ugly,they do serve the purpose that I use mine for-Adding some weight to my long range shooter-300WM.It weighs in at 17lbs with optics and ammo,but there's no recoil.
The Tactical stocks hold my 25/06 and 308 actions,and I've been very pleased with them.They work as well as any other Tactical style stocks,and cost a lot less.

If you want bragging rights to spending a bunch of money on a tactical style stock,go out and buy a Manners or McMillan.If you want a stock to use and beat up in the rough,buy a Choate.