The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
DonR101395

Wolf Ammo myths...........

Since Wolf ammo has been discussed in the last couple of days. Here is a pretty good video about Wolf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM
Old February 6, 2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Wildalaska

so for those of us who dont watch youtube, whats the myths?

WildthatitreallydoesntsuckAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
DonR101395

WA, the two points it addresses primarily are the two myths about the polymer melting and tearing up your extractor.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Wildalaska

OK, so does this review say it melts or not, or tears up extractors or not.

WildbecauseifaffirmativeiagreeifnotitsjustanotherwolfshillAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
DonR101395

No and no.

You know WA that youtube is free and you don't even need to sign up for an account. You starting to make me feel like I'm reading to my grand kids.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Quote:
You know WA that youtube is free and you don't even need to sign up for an account. You starting to make me feel like I'm reading to my grand kids
The written word encourages thought, analysis, and critical thinking. The boob tube and it's derivatives thereof substitute mind numbing shallowness.

One can see the results in test scores.

WildandwolfstillsucksAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 10:43 PM   #7
DonR101395

Quote:
The written word encourages thought, analysis, and critical thinking. The boob tube and it's derivatives thereof substitute mind numbing shallowness.

One can see the results in test scores.

Just for you here is a written piece on an AR with 15K of Wolf through it with no cleaning; only lube every 1000 rounds.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-wouldnt-hurt/
Old February 6, 2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Wildalaska

I beleive I have read that one already. Having seen in the past year or so, over 10 guns that have been Wolfized, I wont use it, sell it or reccomend it, except for AKs used by folks who dont care if they hit anyhting

WildhasnoadvantagesAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
DonR101395

Quote:
I beleive I have read that one already. Having seen in the past year or so, over 10 guns that have been Wolfized, I wont use it, sell it or reccomend it, except for AKs used by folks who dont care if they hit anyhting

That 6920 I bought off you in 07 has over 10K of Wolf through it and is still running strong. Even if all the myths were true I could buy a new gun with the savings on 10 cases of Wolf vs 10 cases of Lake City.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

I've seen the extractor damage, and I've had to clear more than a few stuck Wolf casings out of the chambers of Stoner rifles.

Usually, I make a big show of dropping a cleaning rod down the barrel, grinding my teeth, and yelling "this is gonna hurt!" before thumping the rod to clear it. The more expensive the rifle, the more dramatic the owner's reaction is.

Someone will reply that they've run 6400 rounds of Wolf through their Wylde-chambered race gun in one sitting without a single issue. Heck, they've got talking cars and telephones that browse the internet--I suppose anything's possible. Still, the stuff is fairly wretched for accuracy, and the risks are real.

I suppose it's OK for the Eastern Bloc rifles, but I really don't recommend its use in an AR.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Wildalaska

Quote:
That 6920 I bought off you in 07 has over 10K of Wolf through it and is still running strong. Even if all the myths were true I could buy a new gun with the savings on 10 cases of Wolf vs 10 cases of Lake City.

Well SWMBO hasnt divorced me after all these years, but that doesnt mean I am not fat, smelly and wretched

WildeventheblindpigfindstheacornAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #12
DonR101395

I cleared stuck cases as well. It's from carbon build up because the cases don't expand as well as brass. Nobody said it wasn't dirty.
If you're telling me a mild steel case tore up a quality tool steel extractor I'm calling BS.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
If you're telling me a mild steel case tore up a quality tool steel extractor I'm calling BS.
You cant call BS, I have seen it.

WildonacoltortwotooAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 7, 2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Sturmgewehre

I've seen my fair share of wrecked extractors. It wasn't Wolf that caused it, because Wolf wasn't being used. A rife that's over gassed and out of time that tries to yank a case still fused to the chamber walls out - something going to give even if the case is brass. Most times its the case head or rim that gives. After enough instances, the extractor can give up the ghost, and they do.

You can't blame this on ammo, it's clearly an issue with a rifle suffering from mechanical issues. Using steel cased ammo in a rifle that's out of time only exacerbates the issue and speeds up the damage/process.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:07 AM   #15
DonR101395

Quote:
You cant call BS, I have seen it.
What was the manufacturer, the round count and exactly how does mild steel "tear up" tool steel?
I'll concede that the extractor will eventually wear out, it will do the same with brass, but I've never seen any evidence that steel cases wear the extractor any faster than brass cases. Between three guns I'm currently using for training guns they have in excess of 30K of steel case between them since mid 07 with no signs of excessive wear. One of them is a Glock22 converted to 9mm that has twice shot 1800 rounds in a weekend class with no cleaning.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Sturmgewehre

I would also like to add, most of the timing issues I've seen come from people running short barrels (less than 20") on AR's.

The AR was designed for a 20" barrel. Once you start cutting the barrel back, you start to tamper with the timing of the rifle. To counter act this, people/companies put heaver buffers and sometimes springs in the guns. Others see the issues with extraction (with brass) and put super springs in their extractors. All of this is a band aid to the real problem, the gun is out of time and pulling the case prematurely causing undue stress and wear.

Toss steel cased ammo in the mix and your making your rifles problems even more pronounced.

Since many people refuse to believe their rifle needs service, they blame the ammo.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:12 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What was the manufacturer, the round count and exactly how does mild steel "tear up" tool steel?
In the case I saw, the rifle was a CMMG, and the owner had been shooting Wolf exclusively for "about thirty boxes."

I'm not sure the steel-on-steel contact was the only cause, as the bolt face was encrusted with a level of scrunge I can only describe as "epic." I'd hazard a guess that it was a combination of the two, but I've never seen it on a rifle fed brass-cased ammunition.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:23 AM   #18
DonR101395

Quote:
In the case I saw, the rifle was a CMMG, and the owner had been shooting Wolf exclusively for "about thirty boxes."

I'm not sure the steel-on-steel contact was the only cause, as the bolt face was encrusted with a level of scrunge I can only describe as "epic." I'd hazard a guess that it was a combination of the two, but I've never seen it on a rifle fed brass-cased ammunition.

It sounds like the primer sealant they used to use. It gunked the bolt face up particularly under the extractor which caused failures to extract especially if the chamber is badly carbon fouled as well.
Over the last few months they've stopped using the sealant because of customer complaints about it.
Don't get me wrong guys; I'm not saying there isn't better ammo out there. There obviously is better ammo; I just don't see a need to run premium ammo for training where I'm running through a case or more in two days. I'm just saying that the things it gets blamed for aren't possible from a logical or metallurgical standpoint.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:32 AM   #19
Wildalaska

The ones I saw were Colts.

These Wolf threads are all the same. Some folks defend their ammowoobie, some folks say it sucks.

Whatever. Your gun, your ammo and what I or any other Wolf hater says shouldnt even register on your radar. My Karma tells me Im not going to shoot it, sell it or recommend it, even at the cost of better ammo margins

I can run bulk HSM plinkers at .289 per round plus freight. Thats $5.78 box of 20. Thats from a company that will stand behind their ammo and who you can call right up and talk to the "man"....

And in that regard, let me note that in the case of Corbon, HSM, ATK, Remington., Norma, Lapua and Winchester, all of those companies stand behind their product and are easy to work with. Companies not mentioned either suck or I never had any dealings with them.

WildenjoyshootingAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 7, 2011, 12:36 AM   #20
DonR101395

Fair enough WA, but you still haven't explained how a mild steel case "tears up" a tool steel extractor.

So much for reading stimulating thoughts.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:42 AM   #21
Wildalaska

Quote:
Fair enough WA, but you still haven't explained how a mild steel case "tears up" a tool steel extractor
Im not a high speed camera nor do I have molecular vision so other than seeing the result, I cant comment. Maybe some of the cases arent as "mild" as others, even Wolf fanboys know how "consistent" their QC ist, ja?

Now just to digress, I cant see microwaves, but I know my chimichanga heats up nicely in the Panasonic

WildmicrowaveablechimichangasaregodsgifttogringosAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 7, 2011, 12:44 AM   #22
DonR101395

I haven't been around here for a while, but you still crack me up dude.

BTW: I'm not a Wolf fanboy. I run whatever is cheapest for training ammo. Sometime Wolf, sometime others. I'm not picky; just frugal.(that's a polite way of saying cheap)

I'd also expect you to push HSM since they produce .50 Alaska.

Last edited by DonR101395; February 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:51 AM   #23
Wildalaska

Quote:
I haven't been around here for a while, but you still crack me up dude.
Huh

You got something against microwaveable chimichangas? What are ya a caviar guy?

Hey wait you save money on Wolf ammo! Thats why you arent a chimichanga guy!

WilddoidestroymyantiwolfprinciplestosavemoneyfortbonesAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 7, 2011, 10:21 AM   #24
johnbt

"Wolf Ammo myths..........."

Wolf .22 LR is cheap Russian junk.

Reality: it's made by Lapua in Germany.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:20 PM   #25
Yankee Doodle

As it happens, I consider myself to be an expert on Wolf ammo. I once bought a box, fired 11 rounds, and I now know all there is to know about this brand of ammunition.
Wildalaska understates the case. This crap is not worth the powder it would take to blow it to hell.
Just my opinion, and you may feel free to disagree. However, you will be wrong.