The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2007, 08:31 AM   #1
870pilot

test batch of .223 needs HELP

here's the specs on my first test batch of .223 and a few problems...

once fired .223, full length resized, but not trimmed as wilson gauge said it was within specs. using lee dies including factory crimp die.

first five rounds fired fine but on the sixth – click – ejected the round and picked it up form the ground. bullet was pushed back into case completely and grains of H335 leaking out.

loaded several more rounds into the mag and a series of clicks as the rounds failed to fire and bullets disappeared back into the cases.

tore down the S&W MP15T and cleaned up the powder residue.

i did a search and some say to crimp for .223 and some do not and since i've done a lot of handgun reloading, this is my first rifle batch, i need some help

more crimp to prevent the bullet from being slammed back into the case?

is there such a thing as too much crimp?

excessive pressure if there's too much crimp?

glad i did a small batch to test, mic'd the OAL and it matched the measurements of some factory loads.

i welcome all input...
Old July 30, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
mechdriver

Replies on THR.
Old July 30, 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
rwilson452

IF yor using a lee die the cases must be trimmed to the same length for the die to work corectly. I suspect you need more crimp. If you set up too much crimp you can crush the case.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Scorch

You need to figure out what is shoving the bullets back into the case, and why your primers are not firing. Simply not enough crimp is not the answer. I shoot service rifle match with my AR with no crimp on the ammo, and I have never had a round set back into the case. Sounds to me like your rounds are running into the receiver while feeding, and the leaking powder is keeping the bolt from going into battery.
Old July 30, 2007, 03:25 PM   #5
bigautomatic

Could it be that the OAL is too long? Maybe the ogive of the bullet catching 0n the reciever on its way into the chamber, pushing the bullet back? The .223 doesn't have enough recoil to push the bullet back while in the magazine.
Old August 3, 2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Daniel BOON

loading for a 223?

is tedious, especially for an ar15; but when I load for my bush, I put a light crimp on the round. cannalure bullets help a lot. I try hard not to load un cannalured bullets. i use to trim the brass, but I don't anymore. I try to buy store bought cheap ammo to practice with, then reload the once fired stuff. that seems to work.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:25 AM   #7
FM12

The bullets may be eratically sized, ie some .222, .223.221, etc (or some such combination) and are not giving a good fit in the case mouth. The sizer may be out of specs, see if you can borrow another to ensure the case and neck are sized according to SAMMI specs. May be a combination of all three, with maybe even some cases with thin necks.

Any such trouble with factory ammo? What brand /weight bullets are you reloading?

Since you're loading for a self stuffer, might want to consider a RCBS Small Base sizer one of these days. I dont think it could hurt any, especially for an AR rifle.

BTW, I use H335 a lot for .223, and love it, extremely accurate.
Old August 6, 2007, 02:05 AM   #8
Powderman

Get--and use--a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Bullet setback is a BIG problem, especially with the .223. The feed angle is so steep that it WILL happen sooner or later, unless you apply a good crimp.

Check your case neck tension, too. It should hold the bullet firmly; one of the things I did to ensure good tension was to take the expander out of my die, and polish it--first with 600 grit, then with crocus cloth, while it was chucked into a 3/8ths VSR drill at medium speed.
Old August 6, 2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Trapper L

The issue is most likely that you are using a bullet with no cannelure.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Edward429451

All 223's will need a moderate crimp. You proved it, I've proved it. Not only does it help stop any setback but it seals the round from absorbing any humidity.

I heard that don't crimp em talk for maximum accuracy. Tried it with 40 rounds just to see. One mag went into the rifle and the other into the magpouch on the rifle case. Didn't get to shoot for 4 months and when I did I had 9 bad rounds from the uncrimped rounds in the mag. The other rounds in the mag pouch all went fine. These are the first bad rounds I loaded in 223 of at least a few thousand. I pulled the 9 bad rounds when I got home and the powder was contaminated in them. Absorbed oil from the rifle.

From what I hear, AR's have been KB'd from too much crimp. Start with a 1/4 turn and check the round on a bathroom scale with a 2 X 4 against the tip of the bullet. Measure OAL first, apply 30 lbs of pressure to the bullet against the scale and remeasure. If no setback, you're good. If setback occurs apply a little more crimp and recheck. I've had no problems before or since crimping my 223's this way, even with un-cannulered bullets.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Alleykat

Do you know how to use that Wilson case gage for properly setting up your sizing die? Sounds like you're not sizing the neck sufficiently for proper neck tension. I've used both crimped and uncrimped .223s in my bolt rifle and in my Bushy, with equally good results.

If you've bumped the shoulders too much, you will get misfires. You don't need a cannelure for crimping with the Lee FCD.
Old August 6, 2007, 02:57 PM   #12
870pilot

OP here...

just an update... went back, recrimped a small batch and presto, no set backs, all fired well, grouped well... i am

alleycat... i did read the instructions that came with the wilson, but if you wanna share some insight on the connection between the gauge and the die, i'm always ready to learn

thanks for help guys
Old August 6, 2007, 04:34 PM   #13
FM12

I'm a little confused, in your original post, you said you were using Lee dies, including the Factory Crimp die...were you or were you not crimping with the FCD from the get go? If so, did you go back an apply a heavier crimp, and remove the problem?

Last edited by FM12; August 6, 2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old August 7, 2007, 07:21 AM   #14
870pilot

was using the FCD, just went back and aplied a heavier crimp... if you follow the directions that came with the die, the crimp was too light...

all is good
Old August 7, 2007, 08:07 AM   #15
FM12

Good for you! Isn't it good when you're able to fix problems like this with a little help from your friends? Man, I love this forum!
Old August 8, 2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Toolman

I've handloaded at least 5K .223 rounds for my bushy. With an autoloader, you have to crimp to eliminate bullet setback. The Lee catalog specifies using the factory crimp die for autoloaders. I'll bet the bullet setback occurred with the rounds in the lower end of your magazine.
Old August 9, 2007, 12:44 PM   #17
Alleykat

There isn't enough recoil when a .223 fires to cause setback in a magazine.

I don't have anything to offer, beyond what the Wilson case gage instructions told you. You have already discovered, I'm sure, that the main purpose of the gage isn't checking for o.a.l., but for determining whether you're bumping the shoulder properly for correct headspace.

The Wilson case gage isn't a "chamber-proofing, SAAMI-spec" case gage, as are handgun case gages.
Old August 10, 2007, 06:56 PM   #18
Toolman

AllyKat, I'll agree you are correct that the recoil from a .223 would not cause bullet set back on rounds in the mag.
As far as anything else to add, I always full case length size & trim my cases and use the factory crimp die when handloading for autoloaders.
The only problems I've encountered with my handloads were the two rounds that I didn't charge and one round that I seated the primer in upside down.
Old August 10, 2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Toolman

I use a Sinclair bullet comparator for setting/checking O/A length on loaded rounds.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:36 PM   #20
castnblast

Sounds like COL is too long...Also, You must resize your cases if you are shooting them out of an automatic. No if's and's or buts...
Old August 16, 2007, 05:16 AM   #21
Alleykat

Or, a semi-auto! I've loaded both crimped (using the FCD) and uncrimped for my Bushmaster. Never have any failures, regardless of method used. Many, if not most, AR competitors don't crimp.

The setback was probably caused by insufficient neck tension. The FCD probably just compensated for the lack of neck tension.

For the OP, you never addressed whether you were using the Wilson gage for setting up the sizing die for proper headspace. Are you? (using the cut in the head of the gage?)
Old August 16, 2007, 08:17 AM   #22
870pilot

this is what i posted several posts above...

OP here...

just an update... went back, recrimped a small batch and presto, no set backs, all fired well, grouped well... i am

alleycat... i did read the instructions that came with the wilson, but if you wanna share some insight on the connection between the gauge and the die, i'm always ready to learn

thanks for help guys