The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2005, 01:50 PM   #76
stephen426

ATW525,

Not being arguementative but how did my previous post counter my own points?

I still believe that government intervention is required to force people to act in a safe and responsible manner. I still stand by my point that government does control you.

Back up your comments please.
Old June 13, 2005, 03:00 PM   #77
ATW525

You either get or you don't, what can I say? I've already pretty much said everything I had to say in previous posts. As far as I'm concerned this is one dead horse that's already been beaten to a pulp, and I don't share your interest in continued debate on the subject.
Old June 16, 2005, 02:26 PM   #78
Sulaco2

Interesting posts. I am handling a case where the neighborhood pit bulls got free and attacked their neighbor when they walked outside their house. The home owner was able to get back inside and headed back out with his trusty 9mm. The dogs were unimpressed however (they only respect .45's apparently) and charged him forcing him up onto his car hood from which he fired one round into the chest of the lead dog length wise ending that confrontation. After investigation he gets his gun back.
Old June 16, 2005, 03:29 PM   #79

CarbineCaleb,

"If he's actually holding the boy in his teeth, I'd start kicking the dog in the abdomen to make him let go, and if that didn't work, just hold the gun against his abdomen - can't miss at zero inches"

I thought that holding the muzzle against anything is a bad idea. Bad things can happen when there is too much pressure in the barrel. Am I wrong? Can someone back me up on this?

Ronald Reagan
Old June 16, 2005, 05:59 PM   #80
Chui

Actually, Pit Bull aggression is almost ALWAYS directed towards animals, particularly other dogs. They've been bred that way for over 1,000 years.

Yes, you can still manage to excite one into paying you particular fixated attention, but it is the rare occasion.

If, however, one chooses to nibble on your noggin you're in for a world of hurt.
Old June 16, 2005, 08:11 PM   #81
stolivar

pitt bulls

I have found out over the 24 years of working outside with the public that you do not have to excite a pitt bull very much to get it to try to nibble you. I had one come down 4 houses and try to nibble my toes, knees etc with no effort at all. He did not like my little 600,000 volt toy I had with me. I have found out most dogs do not like to hear them sparking. My has a double capasister (spelling) that makes it fire really fast. It is more like a sharp buzz than a crack. The owner now has a little $125.00 fine for letting their dog run loose. In my town they try to cut the owners some slack if you dog is just loose and not causing any trouble they just tell you to be more carefull and put the dog up. Now if it is bothering somebody than you get the fine... I don't call on just any dog loose, only the agressive ones, and they come right out immediately and take care of the problem.

steve the mailman
Old June 16, 2005, 08:16 PM   #82
CarbineCaleb

stolivar: Hmmm, the taser sounds like ideal anti-mad-dog medicine. Fido still kicking and no innocent bystanders struck, and you get to keep the same number of holes in your carcass as you started day with!
Old June 16, 2005, 08:39 PM   #83
stephen426

Steve,

Are you saying that the dogs simply react to the noise or that you actually have to shock them? Tasers that you can fire can only be used as a stun gun after the probes have been fired right? I'd be pretty nervous using a contact stun gun (unless it was the extended reach kind) on an animal as powerful as a pit bull. Dogs have extremely fast reflexes and move very quickly. I think pepper spray is better as their sensative noses get pounded. Stay safe buddy. We need to get our Playboy and Guns and Ammo magazines!!!
Old June 16, 2005, 09:27 PM   #84
Skeetin'870

I feel that I would try to get the dog away then shoot it because I dont want to take any chance in injuring the child further. I would also call animal control before I shot it (unless the child was in extreme danger) to tell them to come pick it up. BTW my neighbor has a very nice Bichon that was mauled by a pitbull last year after the attack we called him frankensimon. The owner did the right thing and put the dog down. But my neighbor still carries a baseball bat when she walks him. I would have no problem putting a .38sp round into a dog attacking a dog or human unprovoked.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 16, 2005, 09:30 PM   #85
stolivar

stun gun

I carry a stun gun. It is a last resort kind of thing. the dog spray that they let us use has only .035 % of pepper in it. That is less than 1%. basically useless. I have use the stun gun on several dogs that have tried to latch on to me with their teeth. Works very well. this is not a lite stun gun. But a very fast double capsitor model of 600,000 volts. Yes a dogs reflexes are very fast. I only pull it out if I think it is a very agressive dog. 95% of the time if I hit the button and spark it the dog backs off. I think either the sound of it or the smell of the spark is what they don't like. It is a very loud and high pitch buzz and not a crack. I have used the stun gun on 5 dogs that have got to close. every one was on the nose. Almost all of them did a backflip and ran away very very fast. Like I said it is a last resort kind of thing. The main defense is to get your bag in front of you to kind of block them. Most of the time they will latch on to the bag and not you. Sometimes that does not work and they go straight for your face. I have had pitt bull, doby's german shepards attack me. I once had a german shepard sic'ed on me. I have only been bitten once in 24 years the rest of the attacks I have came out the winner. I have great respect for what a dog can do to you, but I am not afraid of them. I have hurt quite a few pretty bad through out the years. I have alway had the law back me up afterwards. I love dogs, I just don't like mean dogs.

steve
Old June 16, 2005, 10:14 PM   #86
stephen426

Steve,

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Another question is have you ever had any problems with Akitas?

Akitas are also very territorial. They are not big into barking and will often sneak up on people. One of my friend's neighbors almost got broken into. Some stupid kids tried to go in through the dog door. Look at the size of the friggen door! If you can fit through, think about the size of the dog!!! Anyways, they might have thought the dog wasn't home since akitas aren't much on barking. When the kid got half way though, the dog nailed him. The kid got chewed up pretty good from what I heard. I'd nominate him for a Darwin award. If you can fit through the doog door, you are messing with the wrong house!!!
Old June 16, 2005, 10:26 PM   #87
mathman

What purpose do pitbulls serve? Do we really need them?

Their owners are often worse...

I'll tell you that if any dog is attacking my child, it is going to die...not to mention action I might take against the owners.
Old June 17, 2005, 12:54 AM   #88
kozak6

I can attest to dogs hating the sound of a stungun. We have a couple pugs running around, and they absolutely freak out when we spark the 500,000 volt stungun we have laying around. I'm talking about paws sliding and slipping on the linoleum to go hide under the coffee table.

Also, a few months back, we were up at the cabin in Prescott unloading the minivan, when 3-4 dogs started up the driveway, and they didn't exactly look friendly. My pop, who had the stungun in the glovebox at the time, fetched it and sparked it, and those dogs took right off. It really is a fantastic deterrent.
Old June 17, 2005, 07:51 AM   #89
Trip20

Old June 17, 2005, 04:41 PM   #90
stolivar

stun gun

I am from Missouri in the center of the state. No I have not had any problem with akita's. All of the ones I have met were friendly. But you are right they do not bark hardly at all.

steve
Old June 17, 2005, 06:01 PM   #91
cuate

Dog Attack

We had a beatiful.loving Blue Heeler Bitch. still mostly puppy. Outdoors dog. She killed a baby Boer Goat kid and drug it up in the yard. I beat the hell out of her with the goat carcass. She killed four more, and I wanted to give her the goat killing cure but my Wife nixed that and we took her to a dairy where there were umpteen Mexicans working (wets). Mexicans love animals and I would assume she has a nice new home where there are no sheep or goats.

Old habits are hard to breaki, sometimes it takes a .22.............
Old June 25, 2005, 03:25 AM   #92
Diggers

LOL!!! That die thread thing is awesome.
Old June 25, 2005, 04:35 AM   #93
BreacherUp!

Webley, agree with your original post, way back in 1875 (or some time when this thread was alive).
When I went through SERE school, a class was taught on defending against dogs.
Read back to Webley's original details.
Add these:
If no weapon is availale to you, attempt to wrap your arm in a shirt/coat/Depends. If nothing is available, you're SOL. Your arm's going to look like hamburger.
Try to find something to brace your body against (especially if your small), such as a tree, hydrant, car, etc. This will keep Fido from knocking you down and assuming the dominant position on your a*s.
When the dog attacks, thrust your arm (hopefully covered, damnit) into its mouth while silmutaneously grabbing and tearing its genitalea as hard as possible. No joke. Make those balls or other organs your dice. If you have a knife, the dog's underside is well exposed as its mouth hungrily chomps on your arm. Disembowl that fiend with a quick thrust and pull. You get the picture. The dog will let go. Natural response. If he comes back, more pain compliance to follow.
Bottom line: he's your byatch, or you are his. Make the decision.
Old June 25, 2005, 09:57 AM   #94
PythonGuy

"Mexicans love animals and I would assume she has a nice new home where there are no sheep or goats."

cuate, you do realize this is 2005, right? This thread is like a BAD Saturday Night Live sketch.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:26 AM   #95
bdc

as usual

As usual, people go off on tangents.

Back to the original question.

If you decide to intervene and there are no tools available other than your hands and if the doggie has cajones, you grab a handful, twist and pull with all your might.

Study nature. Study the attack of pedators. Most try to immoblize the pray by ripping the hind legs. The next line of attack is to go for the soft areas meaning the sex organs. Prey are no less shocked and disabled by having their sex organ ripped out than you would be or any other predator.

Not pleasant, but the answer to the problem.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:47 AM   #96
sean85746

It's them damned chihuahuas you got to look out for. They ain't right.
Old June 26, 2005, 05:24 PM   #97
Bullrock

Quote:
It's them damned chihuahuas you got to look out for. They ain't right.
Maybe, but they sure are fast!!!