The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2000, 05:07 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I am interested in owner feedback on this mdel. I have only seen one or two reviews on this gun, and both have been favorable.
Does anyone know if the Scattergun Tech ghostring sight system will fit Mossberg's, as they have the top tang safety?

Old January 16, 2000, 02:39 AM   #2
One

The real world reviews have been rather grim for this weapon. I have spoken to individuals who have used this weapon in combat situations. It has tremendous fouling probs. The powder has a tendency to build around the bolt and pack it tight. In intensive firing situations it will not feed. The individuals I spoke to returned to a pump action, for it is a proven design. The only semi I have found reliable is the Benelli. I had a 11-87 Police, but it utilizes a small rubber o-ring in the gas system that is prone to failure. Sold it and acquired my 870 Police. Can't go wrong with a pump 870 or Mossberg 590.

Be Safe
Mike
Old January 16, 2000, 12:57 PM   #3
VictorLouis

One: Thanks for the fast response, but I need some elaboration. Mossberg bills this as having passed the same MILSPEC testing as thier proven pump gun design. I too had a Benelli, and it fired incredilbly fast. It's not gas-operated though, so recoil is a bit more stout.
Old January 16, 2000, 06:34 PM   #4
One

Well being ex-military, I don't have much faith in their forms of testing. If they feel something is needed it will pass. The operators I spoke to said that the 9200 had probs with the fouling building in the action to the point that it didnt function. They opted to goback to the 500 mil-spec. I considered this gun, but after speaking to these guys, and seeing their reactions to the weapon, I think I will stay with my 870.

Be Safe
Mike
Old January 17, 2000, 10:28 AM   #5
VictorLouis

One: It looks as though you may have concerns regarding Mossberg's in general. I am curious about them because I operate long arms from southpaw mode(dominant left eye). It seems to have a more lefty-friendly safety switch and bolt release. The new DAO trigger option is also peaking my interest, as my significant other may be called upon to use it one day.
I don't see the level of accessories advertised for it, and there are many for the 870/11-97. No word on adaptability of the
S.T./G.R. sight to the 590?
Old January 17, 2000, 06:06 PM   #6
jacko

I was in somalia and carried a mossberg M500. The gun was 100% reliable. I did not use the jungle gun, Not sure if it was out yet. I also did hear not so good things about the weapon from friends that are still in the service and have used it.

------------------
""Always Watch Your Six""

[This message has been edited by jacko (edited January 17, 2000).]