The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2000, 05:59 PM   #1
Dave R

I patterned my Mossberg with 00 buck and full choke the other day. The spread at 25 yards was about as wide as I would want it to be (about 12"). Does that mean I should consider 25 yards the effective range of the load? Would I be safe shooting 00 through an extra-full turkey choke? Would that give me a longer effective range?
Old January 14, 2000, 06:25 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Usually gun experts will tell you that 15 yards is the optimum range of buckshot in terms of effectively stopping an opponent. And 25 to 35 yards to be the maximum consistently effective distance. With 00 buck after 15 yards the pellets start spreading. If you are after game, then your concerns are not the same as self defense. You may be able to get another 10 yards to the 25 you have it at now , but you are reaching max. for 00 buckshot. Again, if after game a wider spread can still get the job done. IMHO I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
Old January 14, 2000, 06:49 PM   #3
Dave R

Thanks, Ned. I should be clearer. Was thinking primarily of game, but should consider defense also. My big concern with using the turkey choke is, will I be creating too much pressure in the barrel (by squeezing the shot column too much)?
Old January 15, 2000, 04:29 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's no way to tell unless you try. Each weapon is a law unto itself as to what it likes.

A while back I tried some pattern testing using a IC choked riot 870 and our duty load. At 25 yards, NO load kept all pellets on a B-27 target.

What may do more good than a tighter choke is to have a qualified gunsmith lengthen the forcing cone. This doesn't tighten the choke per se,it leaves the pellets rounder so they tend to stay in the pattern. It also slightly reduces felt recoil.

Also, have you tried different loads? Some will be much tighter in a particular weapon than others...
Old January 15, 2000, 02:50 PM   #5
Dave R

Thanks, Dave McC. I'll try some different loads. Don't know if I want to spend the bucks on lengthening forcing cone. No concerns that I'll put pressure on the barrel with too tight a choke?
Old January 16, 2000, 07:36 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The gunsmith that did one of my cones will NOT backbore any bbls, says that sometimes the metal gets too thin. He has no problem doing the cones.

As for the choke, I sitll think some load testing will do more good than a tighter tube, but I see no danger....