The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2000, 05:34 PM   #1
dw

A friend of mine has a mossberg 500 the older version with the forearm that is groved vertically. Anyway the there is a pin that holds the back of the trigger guard in and on hte back of the trigger guard it broke away so the pin doesn't hold it. So my question Is it possible to get a new trigger guard and a new pin(he lost the pin after he thought he had it fixed Any info will be greatly appreciated.
derek
Old January 7, 2000, 05:44 PM   #2
John Overbey

You might try contacting Mossberg directly. A few years ago, I bought a 500 that came with a beautiful wood stock, and a synthetic pistol grip. I just wanted to see what it would look like with the pistol grip, so one day when I was cleaning it, I removed the wood stock and bolted up the PG. It looked really... well, it wasn't my style. When I was bolting the wood stock back on, I cracked it real good. I called Mossberg and they sent me a brand new stock and a matching forearm free of charge. Great customer service too! If they wont send you a free one, they might at least sell you the parts. If thats the case, you might want to try the trigger guard from the 590A1 (it's made of metal instead of plastic). As a last resort, you might try Brownells, but sometimes its hard to tell exactly which part number to order unless you have a detailed schematic with factory part numbers in front of you. I've had excellent results dealing directly with Mossberg though.
-John
Old January 8, 2000, 03:24 PM   #3
larry_minn

Good luck with mossberg. My uncle has a 20 guage with a broken pin in trigger group. You must manually release the slide after each shot before you can rack it. I have the part number they won't sell me the part. I asked if I could send in just the trigger group they say I must send in the whole gun UPS. "which I won't do" There letter was condesending IMO. Will make the pins when I have time or order once I get the broken parts out and can mic them.

Here is part of their reply from Carol Vaillancourt of Mossberg.

You can purchase a new roll pin the part number is 1858 the price is $1.57
plus $4.00 shipping and handling. Please be advised we would need your
complete gun in for an examination not just the trigger housing for an
examination if you would like us to examine it. We do not recommend you
taking apart the trigger group as it is a complicated unit.

Old January 8, 2000, 05:18 PM   #4
Woody

Mossyberg doen this because of liability reasons. Talk to a local smith and he can order the part from Brownells and install it at His shop so you will not need to send the gun anywhere.

Woody