The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 1999, 03:07 PM   #1
abruzzi

Cabelas' Fall 99 catalog on page 304 lists three portable traps ranging in price from:

A. $239 for a "DO-ALL" semi-permanent trap with a seat which claims to throw all five regulation targets, to

B. $159.99 for a self resetting
"FlightMaster" model, to

C. $84.99 a foot-operated model by "Trius".

Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Or any other make/model. The contemplated use is occasional use at a friend's farm out of city (which puts a premium on portability). I cannot use this at my own residence which is in the city.
Old December 27, 1999, 07:07 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For casual fun, one of the hand throwers works as well as the big machines. You did say portability, right? I forget the brand, but the long red plastic one can give hours of fun,and the flights are infinitely different. They run less tha 20 bucks...
Old December 27, 1999, 03:17 PM   #3
NJW

My shooting buddy just got one of those cheaper spring traps and welded it to a "T" made from 2" square tubing which fits into a regular 2" reciever hitch. When we go out to shoot some birds we just slip it in the hitch, pin it, drop the tailgate and sit on the tailgate and throw birds. Works great no matter where you go.

NJW
Old December 30, 1999, 11:39 AM   #4
RickC

The MTM hand thrower is loads of fun. My son and I use it and like the man said above, it is portable and varies constantly where the bird goes.

Less than $10 at Wal-Mart.

Spend the difference on shells and birds.