The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2000, 05:26 PM   #1
Allan33

there is a HS "riot" shotgun. They are asking $200. The gun is in great shape....but I don't know much about HS. I'm guessing this weapon is from the 70'2, and appears to have a steel receiver. Are steel receivers better, generally , than aluminum? Most new shotguns appear to have aluminum.

Also, the elevator does not go fully down to pick up a new round, but I was not racking it hard in the store
Old January 9, 2000, 11:48 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Had a 20 gauge sporting model briefly, around 76 or so. No glitches, but not a great design.

Now, it may be hard to find spare parts, or it may be impossible. For about the same money, you can find a police turnin 870 and have a weapon good for generations....
Old January 10, 2000, 09:55 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

High Standard actually made several police pump action shotguns. They were based on the commercial Flite King model. Most any parts required would simply order Flite King parts.
The 8104, the base model, was simply a 20.25 in. cylinder-bore, 5+1 round capacity, oal 39.75 in. with a weight of 7 lb. Plain walnut stock and grooved forearm, both with oil finish. The barrel is permanently locked to the receiver.
A version equipped with rifle-style sights was special order but a similar item with deluxe recoil pad, extended forearm, adj. sights sling and swivels and a commercial finish was cataloged as 8117, the Brush Gun model.
The 8111 and 8113 were 18 in. cylinder-bores. 6+1 extended magazine tube permanently mounted. The magazine lug is attached to the end of the barrel precluding the use of bayonet adaptors or grenade lunchers. The 8111 had a shotgun bead sight while the 8113 was equipped with rifle sights.
Then the Model 10 (A then B) came out. These are semi-auto shotguns.
Old January 11, 2000, 12:03 AM   #4
bergie

I have a High Standard 12 gauge Sport Deluxe ( 2 3/4" chamber, 26" barrel, modified choke, vent rib, checkered walnut, picture of a grouse engraved on reciever, 5+1 capacity)that my dad bought me back in the early 70's (price was $125 +tax). I have used this gun A LOT for over 25 years and have never had a single problem. They are a pretty simple but rugged design that will take as much as any other out there. Mine has seen a lot of magnum loads while waterfowl and turkey hunting. From the time mine was new, the action was so slick that with the muzzle pointed up, if you hit the release button, the slide would completely open. I also really like the position of the safety, on the front of the trigger guard. I have seen a couple of the short barreled models for sale in my area lately(darn near bought one of them) both were in good to very good shape and had price tags of $140 and $150. Most of the sporting models I have seen were in the same price range, condition didn't really seem to matter, so your dealer is probably a little high.
Bergie
Old January 14, 2000, 07:12 AM   #5
kv4v

I had at Hi Standard 12 gauge with a 18 inch barrel that I bought in the early sixties. Had no trouble with it at all and used it quite a bit until two years ago when I sold it at a gun show. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West