The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 10:33 PM   #1
elljay

I have a semi-auto Lamber 12gauge which I use weekly for skeet and sporting clays. I used to clean it (rod it out with a brush, run patches through until clean, & clean the trigger assembly) after each use.I wonder however is this necessary.
Since I am shooting more often, I am getting lazier about it. I may shoot on Sunday, and then again on Wednesday. Should I only clean the barrel? I asked other shooters how often they clean theirs, and most reply that they do it after each outing. Does the lead and plastic for the shell and wad damage the barrel? Will leaving off the cleaning for a couple of days lead to corrosion?
Anyone have any information?
Old December 22, 1999, 11:07 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I have a tendancy to obsess about cleaning, especially with defensive guns. My Dad always cleaned his 1100 once a year if it needed it or not. After 25 years or so, it finally needed a new extractor.

I do like to run a Tico tool down my bore after an afternoon shooting, but lots of high volume trap guys I know only wipe down the exterior after every afternoon. Clean the rest every month or so.

Giz
Old December 30, 1999, 06:40 AM   #3
pluspinc

It shocks lots of folks but cleaning a self defense shotgun is not always a good idea. Until you shoot it you can't be sure if it will fire. Cleaning is a big thing from black powder days when you had to clean a gun after one shot.
Few shotguns are shot enough to NEED cleaning. I often clean guns for the enjoyment and a way to pass time. But for the one I count on for self-defense when I do clean it, I SHOOT IT before I rely on it. Putting guns back together can cause some potential problems with your best efforts. Missing a duck because a part wasn't put in place right is no big deal, but for YOUR protection clean it and then shoot it and then count on it. Hope that makes sense.
Old December 30, 1999, 07:29 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I get lazy also. Plus with so much shooting. Friday night bullseye (no shotgun here), IDPA(sometimes Rem 870), USPSA (3 gun-includes Rem 870), SASS (97 Win or IGA sxs),Skeet/Sporting Clays (Beretta O/U, Beretta AL390), I often look up and it is time to go out again. And that shotgun or other gun is still dirty from last time. But I do wipe off exterior before storing. I love the TICO TOOL. Don't know what I did before discovering it. The guns get shot so much I don't think they know the dif.
Old December 30, 1999, 02:05 PM   #5
house

I use boresnakes on all my guns saves TONS of time and easy to clean. 1 or 2 pulls and your done...
Old January 2, 2000, 11:20 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

I have shotguns (and pistols) that I haven't "cleaned" for years. I good wipe down and appropriate lubrication is all the attention that some of my guns get. I don't think my Winchester 1300 has been "cleaned" in all the 10 years that I've owned it!

I don't know if it is possible to "over-clean" a gun, but I know some people who seem to be trying to find out.
Old January 2, 2000, 03:20 PM   #7
CKing

it depends on alot on how you store them and your humidity. If your in Nevada or some other place the humidity has a hard time getting to 20% the ability for condensation to collect and start corrision is limited. Safes with heaters are great. However, the crud that builds up just past the chamber and near the choke will eventually cause corrision to happen. You don't need extensive cleaning. A good brushing of the bore with some cleaner, a few wipes and finish with the oil of your choice will make sure your bores are like new.
Old January 2, 2000, 04:37 PM   #8
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I absolutely agree that some folks (me) clean too much.

That being said, I disagree to an extent with not cleaning defensive guns. One of the main reasons mine get at least the bore scrubbed is to have an unimpeachable defense if I don't shoot someone. If I do shoot defensively, I, repeat, I feel more confident with a spotless, properly lubricated gun.

I can also point out two buddies with Spec Ops backgrounds who agree 100 % with Pluspinc.

Another buddy is a metalurgist (spelling?) and very experianced shooter who firmly belives in wiping his bores with an oily cloth only. Uses a couple of Qtips for the breech and that's it. This goes for all of his guns, regardless of cartridge used.

Giz
Old January 3, 2000, 10:41 AM   #9
K80Geoff

My guns are cleaned immediately after I stop shooting. I use a Tico tool or boresnake type cleaner on the bore, wipe any residue out of the action and wipe all metal parts with a silicone impregnted rag. I live in an area with high humidity and have actually had chambers rust on me in the 45 minutes it takes me to get home from the range.

When I get home I usually scrub out the forcing cone area and clean the barrels with Hoppes #9. Cleaning supplies are cheap, my guns aren't. I tend to be paranoid about the bores, prefer to put the gun away with the bores spotless and lightly oiled.

I do the above whether I am shooting my K guns or my 870 express. I guess this stems from my days in the US Army and M16's that would jam if they werent cleaned properly.

One thing I recommend against is using bore scrubber on trigger assemblies of double guns, often these triggers require special lubricants on specific parts that can be removed with liquid gun scrubbers. Better to blow out the assembly with air and wipe down the area with rags and q tips. If the trigger gets really dirty I take my guns to a factory authorized service shop to have them cleaned and re lubricated. 870 trigger assemblies are not quite as sensitive, but still require lubrication to work properly.

My $.02 again!

Geoff Ross