The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 1999, 09:49 PM   #1
82dPathfinder

I want to install the MMC Ghostring rear and protected wing, blade front on my 11/87. It has the Choate pistol grip stock with matching forend. The current sight setup is stock RC rifle sighted 20" barrel. It's intended role is HD. I don't hunt with it.
Here's the question: Who are the more reputable gunsmiths to have this done? I want a fast turn around if possible.

I have reservations about the tritium sights. Do the benefits outweigh the cost of illuminating oneself? Any comments, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Thanks in advance.
Old January 2, 2000, 11:04 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most good smiths can do the work, it's not that technically challenging.
Old January 3, 2000, 02:14 AM   #3
GgnubrKihn

Had MMC sights installed on Beretta 1201FP. Like them alot. Have the tritium inserts and they work very well. Can understand your concern about someone being able to track you with the illumination (assuming a low ready position) but would be hard to pick up on if they are more than 10 ft away. Not too keen on going looking anyway, but could see having to gather family up to safe room. Haven't got the SureFire for it yet but between these two think would give you a definite force advantage (Please forgive presumptions if they are out of wack to your situation, maybe different strategies).
Had the sight installed and front sight silversoldered on (MMC offers a clamp on configuration), then barrel had to be reblued all by a local smith who did a very good job (barrel cut back to 18" also), then sent barrel off to IWI for front sight capsule installation. Quick turn around.

[This message has been edited by GgnubrKihn (edited January 03, 2000).]