The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 9, 2012, 05:46 AM   #1
BoogieMan

What delays a NICS check?

I went to pick up my new Kimber yesterday and I got a delayed response. This is not my first purchase, I just had a pistol purchase go through with no problem 34 days ago. In NJ we have to get a pistol permit and can only buy 1 pistol per 30 days. I dont have a record, I havent even had a traffic violation in almost 20 years.
Is there anyway to find out why they delayed? Can I call the NICS system?
Old May 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #2
dogtown tom

New Jersey does not use the FBI NICS, but a state agency POC (point of contact) instead.

FBI NICS delays are typically caused by multiple returns on name & birthdate, requiring review by an FBI Legal Documents Examiner.

I'm sure it is much the same with your state POC.

from the FBI NICS page:
Quote:
When an FFL initiates a NICS background check, a name search is conducted for matching records in three national databases. These databases are the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which contains information on wanted persons and protection orders; the Interstate Identification Index (III), which contains criminal history records; and the NICS Index, which contains the names of prohibited persons as defined in the Gun Control Act of 1968. The NICS Index includes individuals who have been determined to be federally prohibited from possessing a firearm, and the disqualifying information may not be available through the NCIC or III systems.

Also, a search of the applicable databases of the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is conducted on all non-U.S. citizens.

The majority of NICS checks are determined within minutes, sometimes seconds, after the background check search is initiated. If the NICS does not match any records in the databases searched, the transaction is proceeded. However, if the search yields a valid match to prohibiting information, the transaction is denied.

If the search is matched to any potentially prohibiting records, the NICS Section must reach out to judicial and/or law enforcement agencies for the information needed to render a final decision. The Brady Act allows three business days for this purpose. If the information is not obtained within the three-business-day time frame and a final decision of proceed or deny is not made, the FFL has the option to legally transfer the firearm.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 11, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
BoogieMan

I am Hungarian and have a very unique last name. I cant find anyone else in the US with the same last name thats not in my immediate family. So I am wondering what caused the issue? Could someone be using my name or given it as an alias? I am trying to find out why they delayed it. I guess I am going to have to go to the NJSP office and ask them.
Old May 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Stressfire

Have a fairly unique name myself, and was delayed for my first and my second purchase.

Has never happened since. Although, dealer for my most recent purchase used the online NICS check and told me that when he was running it, the program said "Researching" rather than doing the usual "ding"-and-done.

Then again, the office might have been shorthanded that day - as someone on here said when I asked the same question, the feds don't care if you get it when you want it or not - they will continue to do what they do.

FWIW, I couldn't really get too self-righteous when I was delayed first time...not exactly squeaky clean...but nothing that would cause an outright denial either.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
Stressfire ....Then again, the office might have been shorthanded that day - as someone on here said when I asked the same question, the feds don't care if you get it when you want it or not - they will continue to do what they do.
The FBI NICS is what every call center should be. Not only are they never "shorthanded", they answer by the second ring more than 99% of the time.

They are professional, helpful, easy to understand, polite to a fault and open every day except Christmas....and seventeen hours a day.

I wish they ran the Post Office.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE