The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1
kestak

Bleu Dot 357 Magnum

Greatings,

Blue Dot for .357 Magnum. Magnum primers or not?
I did one batch with magnum primers and did not have any problem. But I want to be on the safe side.

Thank you
Old November 4, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
copdills

just looked in my speer book and I am planning on reloading some 357 mags myself, reff: blue dot , you don't have to use mag primers, so we are good to go with regular pistol primers, however it does say to use mag primers with winchester 296

good luck copdills
Old November 4, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
dogfood

kestak:

copdills is correct. Blue Dot is primarily a slow shotgun powder, so it's designed to burn correctly at shotgun pressures - typically in the 8000 to 12,000 psi range - which are low for most, if not all, handgun cartridges. Therefore, it has to be easy to ignite. Standard primers should be all you need, but follow what your manual says (although I have never seen a magnum primer recommended for Blue Dot in any reloading manual).

dogfood
Old November 4, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4
joneb

Quote:
(although I have never seen a magnum primer recommended for Blue Dot in any reloading manual).
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...15&bulletid=29
The Hornady data I have shows Blue Dot with Mag primers.
I have loaded BD with magnum and standard primers for .357 Mag with 158 and 180gr jacketed bullets, I prefer mid-range loads with standard primers for BD. I have experienced erratic behavior with BD with upper end loads with both standard and mag primers, these upper end loads were weighed for testing. I have replaced Blue Dot with AA#9 for now, and the left over BD has worked well in my .308 Win.
Old November 6, 2007, 03:51 PM   #5
Tim R

I've used BD in the 357 for years. DO NOT use any BD data found in the Speer 11. It's too Hot! Even Ruger Gp 100's will groan.
Old November 14, 2007, 09:44 PM   #6
dogfood

Well, I'll be damned. Jibjab is indeed correct. It seems that Alliant recommends a Federal magnum primer for all of their .357 loads ... even the light loads using Bullseye and target wadcutter bullets.

I would never have guessed. Since I used Blue Dot in the 9mm, .45 ACP and .44 magnum - and since Alliant recommends a standard primer for all of these - I assumed it was universal. Ah ... the hazards of assuming. Once again, following the loading manual is good advice.

Side note: Like jibjab, I have witnessed problems with Blue Dot in upper range loads. My issues were with 147 gr. bullets in 9mm Luger, with a load that was nearly 10% under listed maximum. I have since switched to Vihtavuori 3N38 for this application.

dogfood
Old November 15, 2007, 06:19 PM   #7
crowbeaner

I never used mag. primers with Blue Dot, but I DID notice weird pressure peaks and a LOT of variation between cans and lots of powder. If you buy some, you may want to buy a 4 or 5# caddy and work your loads up again. At least then you have the same lot and batch to figger out what your gun will handle. ++++10 on the Speer manual being HOT! with BD data. Same goes for the #9 manual and AL7 if you have any. You might actually want to try some Herco. Much better can to can, and a very good heavy load powder for the scattergun. CB.
Old November 15, 2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I've heard the same thing about blue dot consistency. It apparently doesn't like to be loaded for low pressure. Also may be case position ignition sensitive. That would explain the use of magnum primers in the magnum cases. If the load doesn't fill a long case well, consistent ignition can require a magnum primer's assistance.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 15, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9
shu

I've liked BluDot a lot for heavy 9mm and 357mag loads, but I keep hearing cautions that it gets spiky at high pressures.

B'lieve I'll switch to power pistol for the top end 9mm. H110 will be it for the 357mag - awesome in a carbine.

I do like that long blue flame that comes with BluDot.
Old November 18, 2007, 12:56 AM   #10
rg1

This is just one test with a .357mag with a 2 1/2" barrel. Using Blue Dot with both CCI500 and 550 mag primers. All 125gr. XTP bullets and RP cases. I got approx 10 fps difference with standard primers but approx 90 fps variation with the magnum primer. Magnum primers are not mandatory with Blue Dot and the only way to tell which is better would be to test both with a Chrono and to see which one is most accurate in your load. However, I wouldn't substitute mag primers when the recipe calls for standard pistol primers
Old November 20, 2007, 02:04 PM   #11
ArizonaRick

Try Unique

I have tried blue dot, 2400, 296, & H110 and my results where not to great on the ACCURACY side of the mix. Then I tried Unique. And YES, the bullet goes slower, but unless you need to breath fire, the Unique loads are much nicer to shoot and a whole lot more accurate. Max load is 9.6gr but my best results are 7.0 to 8.5 range. I shoot 4" S&W 686 and 6" 586. Good Luck

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx