The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2002, 11:13 AM   #1
Halo

Difficulty in resizing

I have just started rifle reloading (7.5 MAS), after having reloaded for 9mm and 45 for about a year. I don't know if this is normal, but I noticed that it took quite a bit of force to get the cases into the resizing die, even though I had lubricated them as described in the Speer manual. Also, a few of the cases came out with a bit of brass shaved off, leaving little brass fibers I had to wipe off. This is with FNM 7.5x54 brass, not reforming 6.5x55.

Is there something wrong here? The dies are Lee, and adjusted per instructions. I don't think lack of lubrication was the problem, if anything I overlubed a few of the cases because I noticed a few small shoulder dents on some of them. Could overlubrication be the reason it seemed so difficult to resize the cases?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old January 27, 2002, 11:58 AM   #2
trapshooter

I dont use grease, I use spray lube. Works like a champ, and much easier.

BUT, it doesn't sound like lubrication is the culprit. Are you full-length resizing, or neck only? I only full-length size when I'm loading once-fired brass (not fired in my rifles the first time). If it's new brass, or brass that I fired, I only neck size, for the bolt guns.

Can you detect where the brass is being shaved from? Did you blow out the case after you trimmed it? Have you looked at the expander ball to see if it has a ding or something? (This can happen, even with the best manuf.).

That's where I'd look first.
Old January 27, 2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Paul B.

Halo. Your rifle is a military type, so it could have a slightly (?) greatly (?)oversized chamber to allow for dirty cruddy corroded and otherwise screwed up ammo to chamber and fire. If you dir is set up to size ti minumum specs, and you have a large chamber, yes, they mostly likely will be hard to resize.
I have run into the same problem with a couple of milsurp rifles I use to own. Other than springing for a custom sizing die, there ain't a hell of a lot you can do about it.
Paul B.
Old January 27, 2002, 07:16 PM   #4
Dave P

Dont' forget that the rifle rnds always need more elbow grease than small pistol rnds! Doesn't sound unusual to me!