The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2013, 01:00 AM   #226
El Bango

In the old days it was frowned on to pull a trigger in a gun shop and plain stupid if you're not really shooting at the range or hunting,the exception being a gunsmith doing a trigger job.Most shops would discourage such behavior with a sign that said "Dry fire all you want....$1.00 a snap".Now when I visit the local shooter emporium there are always "idiot trigger pullers" and equally idiotic sellers both grinning like mules with a mouthful of bee's and I just have to leave.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:22 AM   #227
Sport45

Quote:
CUSTOMER:
"I see those guys on TV and movies holding their guns sideways when they shoot. Is that something I should learn to do?"

CLERK:
"No. If you do that, the path of the bullet will go right. Hold the gun vertical and the bullet will drop down, staying over the area of the guy you're trying to shoot."

Sgt Lumpy
The clerk had the right idea but the wrong direction. The bullet will go to the left (right handed shooter, palm down). It will also go down, of course.

But then maybe he's a lefty shooting gangsta style, in which case I'd cut him some slack.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:06 AM   #228
Glenn Dee

When in a gun shop looking at gun's (usually revolvers) I'll allways ask if they mind me dryfiring. I never dryfire rimfire gun's or those with solid firing pins, or anything without a ring on the cylender... But if dryfiring is going cause an issue with a gun... I want to kow before I buy it.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:32 AM   #229
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

I highly recommend and encourage my customers to dry fire the guns. As long as it isn't a rimfire or old revolver I say dryfire away! Its always pointed in a safe direction and we follow all safety rules.

I don't want to sell somebody a gun if they haven't at least felt the trigger pull. I usually recommend they try one of our rentals out before buying .

Dryfiring isperfectly fine in my opinion. As long as you're not being stupid with it.

Ike
Old June 19, 2013, 10:47 AM   #230
Kimber84

Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

I wouldn't buy a gun if I wasn't allowed to dry fire it... The trigger can make or break a gun in my opinion.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:57 AM   #231
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber84 View Post
I wouldn't buy a gun if I wasn't allowed to dry fire it... The trigger can make or break a gun in my opinion.
Exactly. Which is why I hate the big box stores that won't take the trigger lock off until you buy it. The trigger is extremely important

Ike
Old June 19, 2013, 11:37 AM   #232
TailGator

Quote:
I agree, but I still ask first. It still belongs to the shop while I am shopping, and they can turn me away (dry fire and sale) if they want.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:00 PM   #233
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

50 cal BMG power

"I could barely miss you with a 'Ma Duece' and it would still take your arm off" is a popular myth. A weapons instructor at Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton told me that as a matter of fact in January, 2001.
Another instructor at crew chief school told me the same thing six months later. It seemed legit at the time; after all, these guys could surmise that the head-space needed adjustment by smelling the reciever. They also said it would go through a man hole cover from a quarter mile away. I've been repeating both of those little tidbits all this time. I doubt I'll be able to stop.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:01 PM   #234
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator View Post
I agree, but I still ask first. It still belongs to the shop while I am shopping, and they can turn me away (dry fire and sale) if they want.
Oh I always ask as well, then check the chamber about 10 times before I do
Old July 25, 2013, 01:19 AM   #235
Agregory1994

7.62x51 vs. 7.62x54R

I was working behind the gun counter at my work place when some guy came asking about ammo him-"Why is that 7.62 in the brown bags so cheap?" me-"Its surplus, do you have a mosin? mine shoots it very well." him-"No, I have a .308, ill take a bag." me-"Sir, you cant use 54R in a .308, a .308 uses 7.62x51" him-" Hmmmm good call, YOU GOT ME *walks off* me-"...."
Old July 25, 2013, 05:10 AM   #236
JKHolman

May 26, 2013, 03:12 PM #11
Closing The Gap

From Closing the Gap:

Posts: 159 I don't know about goofy but there was a small shop here about a mile from the border Detroit, that specialized in Jiminez and Hi point due to the economics of the area. I purchased a Shield 9mm for the wife's cpl there a while back. While doing the paperwork and waiting for her BG check the owner started telling very disgusting racist jokes. Not your ordinary ones but ones that went so far past the line that I was dumbfounded. I don't know what his thoughts were but I assure you it made me and her very uncomfortable. I found it rather odd considering a large portion of his customer base are black folk from that neighborhood. Needless to say they'll never get our business again.

Closing the Gap,
I have to ask, did you morally challenge the storekeeper on his monologue or did you simply say nothing. I can understand being caught off guard and being too dumbfounded to protest his actions. But until people verbally challenge these bigots (racists are a different type altogether), both white & otherwise, racism will remain strong. Expecting to eradicate this completely is a fool's expectation, but we have to try.
Challenging a bigot is not so much to change him [or her]; that is unlikely. It is to maintain your own moral compass (exercising the Spirit, as the Apostle Paul may have put it) and to be a Witness to others who may be present.
Remember what George Orwell said: all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Quite often, the bigot speaking such rubbish is not looking for agreement, but is grinding into your moral core. It is not so much an attack on the butt of his comment as an inroad into your Spiritual Being.

No, I am not a Christian, but I do recognize the reality of spiritual warfare.

Closing the Gap, take care.

- JKHolman
Old July 25, 2013, 11:17 PM   #237
Fishing_Cabin

I had my FFL for many years, and have tried to update any places that still list me as an FFL holder... Anyway...

One morning I got woke up by the phone (after having some drinks the night before). When I answered, some guy asked (I swear I think he said it) "Do you have a 'big pink mosquito?' "

To which I quipped, "I sure hope not!" Then I rolled back over in bed...

It didn't dawn on me until later in the day that the guy probably wanted to know if I had a 'Sig' Pink Mosquito in stock....
Old July 26, 2013, 04:03 AM   #238
Nine the Ranger

This thread needs to be closed.

If it doesn't happen, someone will die laughing.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:44 PM   #239
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine the Ranger View Post
This thread needs to be closed.

If it doesn't happen, someone will die laughing.
Almost happened to me!!!

Ike
Old July 26, 2013, 11:20 PM   #240
BornToLooze

The other day when I was at Academy getting a new shotgun there was an old lady getting a little .380 and she pointed at one of the Remington R1s with a threaded barrel and asked why that one had a weird barrel. The guy behind the counter explained it was threaded so you could put a silencer on it. When she said they were illegal he told her that you just had to fill out some paperwork and pay a tax stamp. She threw up her hands and said, "Next thing you know machine guns will be legal too!"
Old August 8, 2013, 09:28 PM   #241
Willie D

Ok, so this was at a range - I never hang out in the clubhouse but there always seems to be some goofy discussion going on when I go in to use the bathroom:

<very serious conversation in progress>

"....but it's impossible. You CAN NOT hit a monkey with a bow and arrow. They just dodge all the arrows!"
Old August 9, 2013, 12:16 AM   #242
riggins_83

Overhead an employee at a gun store explaining to a customer what the forward assist on an AR15 was for. He said "See if I let the bolt down slowly I can force it into battery with the charging handle." Customer said "Oh this gun has to have batteries?"

Customer looking at a Ruger SP101. "What's the capacity on this?" Employee replied "5 shots." Customer said "Plus one in the chamber right?"
Old August 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #243
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
Ok, so this was at a range - I never hang out in the clubhouse but there always seems to be some goofy discussion going on when I go in to use the bathroom:

<very serious conversation in progress>

"....but it's impossible. You CAN NOT hit a monkey with a bow and arrow. They just dodge all the arrows!"
So awesome, I actually fist-pumped!
Old August 9, 2013, 05:10 PM   #244
cryogenic419

One thing I have always wanted to go into a gun shop and ask is this...I'm thinking of knocking over a liquor store, what gun would you suggest?
I know it probably wouldn't go over well which is why I have never asked it. I am curious how somebody at a gunshop would react to a question like that, if they would "get" that it was a joke or if I'd be told get out and never come back.

Ok so on to the funniest thing I ever heard was concerning a gun in .40 S&W. Don't get one of those, they are a passing fad, stick with a 9mm or 45.
Old August 9, 2013, 07:36 PM   #245
WyMark

JMP:
Quote:
I was at a big box store in January standing at the gun counter and a guy behind me asks the guy at the counter if they had any ARs. The guy working there said they didn't but it would be stupid to buy one anyway because the UN forces are going to be here within two weeks to take all our guns. When they find out we aren't giving them up without a fight, they'll drop their guns and run and we can just pick them up and keep them for free. I kind of chuckled because I thought he was joking about people exaggerating the new gun control laws that were in the news at the time. He got very upset with me, told me he was dead serious, and told me I had to leave.

Please, please tell me you were visiting a store in Colorado or some other state at the time.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:09 PM   #246
RBid

Quote:
One thing I have always wanted to go into a gun shop and ask is this...I'm thinking of knocking over a liquor store, what gun would you suggest?
I know it probably wouldn't go over well which is why I have never asked it. I am curious how somebody at a gunshop would react to a question like that, if they would "get" that it was a joke or if I'd be told get out and never come back.
I wouldn't have assumed it was a joke. Not because I'm Serious Sam, but simply because A) you have to explore, just in case and B) I've had enough people say incredibly stupid things that I believe that some people are really just that dumb.

Case in point, and this was actually said to me:

"OSP* said I can't get a gun because I have a stupid felony domestic thing from when I got drunk and beat up my girlfriend. You can tell them they can let me have it, though. We're still together."

*Oregon State Police

In case there is any confusion:

FELONIES ARE NOT O.K., even if your lady doesn't leave you for beating her!
Old August 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #247
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryogenic419
Just off the top of my head... this would probably go over approximately as well as joking about hijacking a plane while standing in the TSA line at the airport.
Old August 10, 2013, 12:12 AM   #248
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
FELONIES ARE NOT O.K., even if your lady doesn't leave you for beating her!
Nope, and they don't just "go away" after 5 or 10 years, as some folks seem to think.

Quote:
I've actually had someone walk into the shop and say "nobody moves and nobody gets hurt." Yeah. There are people out there with that little intelligence or instinct for self-preservation.
Old August 10, 2013, 05:38 PM   #249
SVO

Bass Pro Shop - Guy is looking for 45 Auto ammo. They actually had different brands in that caliber on the shelf. BPS employee is opening up various boxes and allowing the customer to examine the ammo. They open up a box of the Hornady ZombieMax. Customer comments on the green plastic plug in the cavity of the hollow point bullet. BPS employee tells the customer "that's to keep air from filling up the hollow point and expanding it when you shoot it."

Customer: "Really. How much air does it take to do that?"

BPS employee: "Not much at all".
Old August 10, 2013, 09:04 PM   #250
TommyP

Quote:
Bass Pro Shop - Guy is looking for 45 Auto ammo. They actually had different brands in that caliber on the shelf. BPS employee is opening up various boxes and allowing the customer to examine the ammo. They open up a box of the Hornady ZombieMax. Customer comments on the green plastic plug in the cavity of the hollow point bullet. BPS employee tells the customer "that's to keep air from filling up the hollow point and expanding it when you shoot it."

Customer: "Really. How much air does it take to do that?"

BPS employee: "Not much at all".

Besides the monkey bow and arrows this one is my favorite!