The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2000, 05:11 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

I just got back from a local gunshop where I was attempting to trade a 1903 Springfield for a Uberti Henry. After telling the dealer that I wanted $300 for the rifle I was told that since their are a lot of these guns kicking around $150 was the best he could do. I didn't make the trade, but I'm curious who's offer was the most reasonable. My rifle is manufactured by Springfield Armory with a S/N of 399XXX. It appears to be unaltered and it has 80% or better finish remaining on it overall. The stock is in very good condition with a few nicks and dings but no splits and has a nice satin gloss. The dealer told me the reason that he wouldn't go over $150 was that the bore has some pitting in it and also that the serial number places it in a low range where the receivers were brittle (which I was fully aware of when I bought the rifle). I admit that I don't know much about the 1903 Springfield, but I'm curious now. Any information would be appreciated.
Old August 3, 2000, 08:25 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I think the dealer was trying to take advantage of someone who wasn't sure of its value.

1903 prices can get pretty high, in good shape, among the Curio & Relic list group. I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't absolute junk (or a parts gun) that sold for anything like $150.

Try subscribing to that list, and see what they have to say. You might even get some offers, if you put a good description and price in your message.

Here's the address. Put the subject in an otherwise empty message.

______ C&R FFL LIST
E-mail: subscribe c-r-ffl
to [email protected] to be ADDED

E-mail: unsubscribe c-r-ffl
to [email protected] to be REMOVED
Old August 4, 2000, 05:44 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

Thanks for the information Walt. I just ordered a book on the 1903 Springfield, so I guess I'll read it and learn something. I'll also take a look at that gunlist.

Alex Johnson
NRA, Life Member
Old August 6, 2000, 09:46 PM   #4
beemerb

Alex do a search useing springfield 1903.com
You should find the site for collectors of 1903's.If your gun is low number original it should be in the 1000 plus range.I saw one advertized on a site for 2500 but I think it was out of line.I think I would do my business at a different shop.If they try to rip you once they will again
I have a 1903A3 close to original and I turned down 500 on that one.I know yours is worth a lot more then mine.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old August 6, 2000, 10:27 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Alex,

Try posting on the 03/03A3 Forum at www.gunandknife.com. Describe the rifle in detail, including receiver markings, barrel markings, stock cartouche and any other stock markings, grooved or ungrooved stock, buttplate (smooth or checked), etc.

The folks on that forum are very knowlegeable and will help you. If all original, that rifle would run well over $500, in spite of being low number. FWIW, I don't recommend shooting low numbers.

Jim
Old August 8, 2000, 02:06 PM   #6
Dead

i'll give you 300 for it

I am looking for an 03 I can shoot though, havent found one yet. Need to have a collector I know come with me as I know nothing about them.

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old January 13, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
brinker

1903 springfield Sn. 689997

I originally purchased my 1903 in Hawaii in 1970. The territorial guard was selling to military personnel I was stationed a wheeler AFB. AD Army. I paid under 100 USD for it, and shot 140 grain Military load. I had lots of that ammo in stripper clips,loaded in the 40 es. and finally used it up in 2008. now I shoot 150 grain target. considered M1 Garrand load. You just cannot find 140 grain any more. The 1903 was never designed to fire a higher load, New loads are offered in 30-06 today up to 220 grain. My 1903 was rebarreled in Dec 1943 and is stamped USMC behind the front sight. I have installed a new stock and a rebuilt new bolt. On the range I fire 5 rounds and inspect, I usually run a patch and clean the barrel. and I fire my 1903 with confidence. Many weapons that were produced in the earily periods of manufacturing, used the same style of heat treatment, Combat 45, Thompson in the early days, and the list goes on. That was just the way they did it. I was on a range 8 months ago The range master kicked me off the site when I was doing my 5 round inspection. All due to my Serial number. I was firing alone nobody around me. I placed 5 rounds at 100 yards just over the size of a silver dollar. All this internet bunk about the 1903 Springfield. I also attended Military School and we fired the 1903 in 1956 I was 10 years old I don't recall the serial numbers but we fired at 50 Yards. I feel the 1903 in any firing shape is worth at least a grand. Just my feelings I really enjoy this site, Be care full and fire clean.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I don't think I have ever seen, read, or heard about a 140 gr USGI bullet.
Do you have any of that brass or boxes left to help identify the source?

I won't argue about shooting a low number action, obviously it works for you.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Savage99

There is an 03A3 at the Cabelas here that has a $850 price tag on it.

Prices of military guns has gone crazy high and they are selling I hear.

I got an 03A3 from the DCM when they were $10 ea!

It's long gone.

Sort of glad as it was a cheap looking gun.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:28 AM   #10
Scorch

Wow. 13 years after the OP. I think this one is close to being a record.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:59 AM   #11
tahunua001

PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS!!!! I want to see this zombie brought back again in 2026! that'll make my day when my low number serial will be worth $2500 and I see this guy claiming he was just offered $150.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
manufactured by Springfield Armory with a S/N of 399XXX
That is a low number rifle and shouldn't be shot. Having said that, if it's as good as shape as you say, I would value it at $750 Plus, just as a non-shooting collector piece.

If I was you, I'd go to the Bolt Action forum on the CMP web site and get their ideals on the value, I bet you'll find its way north of 150 even $300 bucks.

That would be a place to sell it if that is what you want to do.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 14, 2013, 04:02 PM   #13
tahunua001

KraigWY, this is a 13 year old thread.... I doubt your concerns have been noted by the OP.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think I was the previous national champion when I responded to a 10 year old thread. I guess records are made to be broken!

Jim
Old January 14, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
kraigwy

Quote:
KraigWY, this is a 13 year old thread....
Sorry, guess I'm gonna have to read the posting dates better.

I feel like a love lorn cowboy responding to a 20 year old love letter from an old flame who is either married or an old maid now.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 14, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
HiBC

Dang,Kraig,that is beautiful!

I can hear old Festus and the Sons of the Pioneers

"I feel like a lonesome old cowboy

found an old letter I got from you.

But you run off and took my dog with you

I reckon thats why I'm so blue...
Old January 16, 2013, 10:45 PM   #17
PetahW

"Home, Home on the Strange".............. .