The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
newbyloader

150gr lesd cast powder load

hey everyone,

looking for some help on a reload for 270 winchester 150gr lead cast bullets, i have called imr direct and they could not help me, i currently have imr 4831 powder, if you can help me i would sure appreciate any input you could give.
Old June 4, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

Cast bullets cannot usually be fired to jacketed bullet velocities without a lot of special effort. If you want to do that you've got some studying ahead of you. Bore lapping (if yours isn't lapped already) and extra hard alloys in gas-checked style and high performance lubes, like LBT blue are usually involved.

In your gun, typically you would shoot jacketed bullets in the 3000 ft/s range. For cast bullets not specially made for higher velocity, you'll probably be in the 2000 ft/s range. Unfortunately, at the lower pressures used to fire cast bullets at that lower velocity, IMR 4831 is too slow burning to burn well or consistently. It also doesn't do well with reduced loads in general, and can sometimes either squib out or cause pressure spikes operating in a low case fill. It's great for full velocity jacketed bullets in .270, but not a good choice for cast bullets.

What I would recommend you do is get some IMR Trail Boss powder and follow the instructions, here. If you want to drive them faster and use a reduced load, you can also try IMR 4759, which is bulky. If you get to really fast cast bullet loads, the slowest powder I would use is H4895. Unlike most stick powders in its burn rate range, it can be loaded down to about 60% of a max load, which ought to be somewhere around 30 grains for you. But, again, follow the instructions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 4, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
GP100man

Got any Alliant 2400 ?? ,try 14-16 grs. should put ya `bout 1400-1600 fps.

3031 28grs. shouldbe at 2000.

The 2400 loading Ive shot in 30-06 for a while now either under a 311041 or a 314299.

The 3031 load is 1 gr. under starting for a 280412 (136gr rn )

From Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook.

Tags
.270 , leadcast , reload , reloading