The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2007, 04:09 PM   #1
marcseatac

Time for a new one

I just ordered the 1858 .36cal Pietta. Cabelas sent me a $20 coupon so the deal is done!

I think this should be a strong little pistol because of the small bore. I bet it will last forever. Also like the 6 1/2 barrel length. Anybody have one of these already? How do you like it?
Old June 11, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2
arcticap

I've read that's a nice model with a frame size all of it's own, and the Pietta's use a .375 ball. Did you order any spare cylinders?
Good luck enjoying it.

Last edited by arcticap; June 12, 2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old June 11, 2007, 05:19 AM   #3
marcseatac

I did not know that about the frame, now I am really looking forward to seeing it. It was hard to tell anything from the picture online it just looks like a regular 1858. After I get a chance to handle it I will update and give a report.

If I remember right the weight was 2lbs 9 oz so it's only a couple ozs lighter than the regular 5 1/2. That's interesting because with the small bore if it was standard size it would seem the pistol would be heavier. The frame may very well be different.
Old June 11, 2007, 07:25 AM   #4
mykeal

I have one...

Bought it new in '81, the year it was made. Fine gun, nicely balanced. I've never really shot it for accuracy, although I did develop a load for it: 20 gr 3F (real bp), lubed felt wad, .375 rb gave the best group. I call it my Remington New Navy due to the caliber.

Pretty good quality gun. It's lasted 26 years without any significant repairs, although I'm a bit anal about cleaning/storing and I don't ever shoot max loads with it. It also went several years in storage while I was overseas. Don't know how many rounds have been through it as I didn't keep a log back then. However, I'm very satisfied with it. You should enjoy it.

Old June 11, 2007, 03:47 PM   #5
marcseatac

Very nice pictures! How does the frame size compare to a normal 1858?
Old June 11, 2007, 03:50 PM   #6
marcseatac

Just checking the Cabelas website the .36 weight is 2lbs 12 oz, the .44 is 2lbs 9oz in 5 1/2. Sounds like it's on a standard frame.
Old June 11, 2007, 04:54 PM   #7
mykeal

frame size

I think the frame size is identical with the New Army (.44 cal), but it's been quite a while since I've handled one in comparison. At the very least it's close enough that I'd have to have them side by side to see any difference.
Old June 11, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Old Dragoon

All the reproductions are built on the same frames for 36 and 44 Cal.
Pietta's are a bigger frame from the recoil shield back and possibly more meat around the bbl at the breech and the gripframe is bigger than the Uberti, which is bigger than the Euroarms. The latter is almost the spitting image of an original, though based on the Remington -Beals old Model Army with the covered breech threads.

If you have big hands you'll like the Pietta as some get their knuckles busted by the Uberti and Euroarms TG when firing the pistol.
All three are of good quality now.
Old June 12, 2007, 11:32 AM   #9
arcticap

Oops, I'm sorry.
I must have been thinking about the .36 Remington Navy, not the .36 Remington New Model Army. Apparently, according to gmatov, the frame is 3/4's size on the .36 Remington Navy model and are uncommon.

Quote:
....First, you have to see if it really IS a Remington Navy .36. I have bought a Remington .36, and it is the same frame as the '58. IF it IS the actual Navy model, it might be worth it. They are hard to come by. They are about 3/4 the size of the .44 cal Rem Army model.....

Cheers,

George

http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?...09&postcount=7

Here's mec's picture of one and more info.:

Last replica's made by Lyman?

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...6+Remington%22
Old June 16, 2007, 01:17 AM   #10
marcseatac

Arrived today! It's nice, full size 1858. The barrel looks very cool with the .36 bore. It's very thick as are the webs between cylinders. I like it very much. Everyone needs one of these!!!!!!