The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Tex S

What non-toxic shot is available to reloaders?

I have an old MEC shotshell reloader that has been sitting around here for 15 years. I used to make lead shotshell loads for dove and small game, but I eventually gave up on it since 12ga is so cheap to buy from the factory.

Anyway, I started duck hunting a few weeks ago, and there is definitely some cash to be saved by reloading as steel shot loads are very expensive.

Is there any other non-toxic shot available to reloaders other than steel? I have heard of guys using bismuth, hevi-shot, etc. with great results, but I cant find any of these in component form.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
rg1

Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading are top sources of non-lead shot and components to load them as well as special reloading manuals for non-toxic shot. The hevi-shot, bismuth, and other non-toxic heavy shot are expensive though. Steel shot isn't too bad but it does require special wads and data for steel shot only. Mec has some accessories for certain presses to load steel shot and they sell a "SteelMaster" press.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

At $230 for 7# of Hevi-Shot, I think I would just buy factory