The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

FYI; new central Florida gun range....

For those TFLers in central Florida or those members who plan to visit Florida soon;
The Volusia County gun range, named after former official Robert Strickland is now open.

The public range went through a detailed overall lasting nearly 4 months.
Check the Volusia County Florida website for times, prices/fees, rules & details.

In short,
A 1/one day range pass is $10.00 USD. A 6mo pass is $70.00 & a full year(12mo) range pass is $100.00 USD.
The county gun range is open to handguns(all types & calibers) & rifles up to .50BMG.
Shotguns, class III(automatic) & AOWs(any other weapon) are not allowed on the new public range.
Rapid fire is not allowed either.
A trained range safety officer will be on duty & the entire complex is closed on Mondays. The general range hours are 830am to 430pm, Tue to Sun. All gun owners & guests must be off the property by 445pmEST.
NOTE; young children are allowed on the gun range(s) but they must be supervised by a parent or adult.
Any violation or unsafe act will result in removal & possible formal trespass by a county sheriff's deputy.

It sounds like fun to go by there. If I get in the Daytona Beach Florida area I might sign up & shoot outdoors.

Clyde
Old December 4, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
dakota.potts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4PstsbeVs

It seems like they've been open for a while, but I heard something about renovations.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind allowing up to a .50 BMG but not a shotgun? I don't understand not supporting automatic weapons or AOW either, but at least I can understand the mentality behind some possible reasons.

I'm in Saint Augustine so I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get down south a little ways.
Old December 4, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

11/26/2013 ....

The range's official date was 11/26/2013.

The site rules & SOPs state the .50BMG & other big caliber(long range sniper) type rounds are no-nos.

I agree that shotguns(with buck-shot or lighter bird loads) could be authorized but to not allow exotic 12ga rounds(tracer, Rhodesian Jungle, Bolo, blank, etc) or slugs(rifle type).

I don't know if hammers(double taps) constitute "rapid fire" either but I guess I'll see if I get RODed off the range, .

Clyde
Old December 5, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Don P

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind allowing up to a .50 BMG but not a shotgun?
The reasoning behind the above quote is that the IDIOTS with the shotguns were shooting at the support beams for the baffling as well as the knee walls in the bays so the CROS put a stop to shotguns with much grief from the local gun stores selling the shotguns. In the end it all went before county manager with the leisure recreational departments and actually listened to the CRSO and stated he is in charge and what he states goes, period.
That leads to why the range was closed again for renovations is the new shooters are taring up the support beams/baffling system as well as lead removal.
In a general statement, (my view point) new and experienced shooter were/are taring the place up. The I don't care attitude.
This is why I joined a private range and stopped buying my yearly range pass.
Its also why the range fees have increased because of the damage being done and repair work.

Quote:
don't know if hammers(double taps) constitute "rapid fire" either but I guess I'll see if I get RODed off the range
Yes it does, they want 2 seconds between shots. You will be warned and told to leave if it continues
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Strict

This place seems to put the strict in Strictland .
I might just stick to the pay to play ranges near me.

I would like to shoot outdoors on occasion but I'm not down with being in safety nazi HQ...
Old December 5, 2013, 05:09 PM   #6
gkdir

Just go to Sebastian--they got it figured out a long time ago. No BS, and works just fine.
G
Old December 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Derbel McDillet

ClydeFrog:

If you wanna shoot outdoors you ought to consider Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club. Non-members pay $10.00 and it's alot more relaxed. It's about 4 miles west of I-95 on highway 46. I live 5 minutes away.
Old December 6, 2013, 03:44 AM   #8
Justice06RR

Thanks for all the info.

I've been looking for a good outdoor range in Central FL since I live in Orlando area. I've been to Central FL Rifle and Pistol club but their membership is expensive (about $300/yr), but they have multiple ranges that include up to a 300yard stage, and many action bays.

I've been to Chuluota Sportsman's club but it is limited to 100yards and no rapid fire either. I don't understand why its not allowed, but I guess they do it for the safety of the shooters and their range targets.

I'll have to check the Titusville range since thats about 30mins from me.
Old December 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

If that is near Daytona, then go up to Bunnell/Flagler and join there

http://flaglergunclub.com/
Old December 7, 2013, 09:22 PM   #10
EFMAN2K3

Thanks for the post. My dad lives up that way and I want to take him to a range. He lives pretty close to this range. He will be thrilled !!