The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 2002, 05:47 PM   #1
VaughnT

barrel removal. Mossy 500c 20g.

I just ordered a 18.5" bbl for my dove gun, to make her better for around the house. Just under $80 is a sure sight better than a new shotgun, but I don't know thing one about taking the old barrel off.

This is a hand-me-down SG with no manual, so if any of you could lead me through it, I'd be forever indebted.
Old August 23, 2002, 07:52 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

Okay. I have a 12 gauge mossberg 500, so the procedure may be slightly different.

first, make sure the gun is completely unloaded.

then, slide the pump handle about half way to the rear. (this is important for clearance reasons, the pump handle will interfere with the barrel if you try to take it off with the pump in the rearwardmost position. (if the pump is forward, you won't be able to take it off because the locking lug will be locked into the barrel extention.

now, there should be a nurled knob on the end of the magazine tube. loosen it (it's got a detent on the underside so it'll click untill for the first two turns) untill the barrel slides forward off the magazine tube and the screw is completely free of it's threads.

continue pulling the barrel straight out untill the extention comes out of the reciever.

assembly is in the reverse order.

When you replace the barrel, make sure it's only hand tight. ( i go one click past the part where everything mates up, but you don't have to.
Old August 23, 2002, 08:57 PM   #3
Bruce626

Likewise on a 12 ga, assuming it is sorta the same as yours, the thing to keep in mind... that I often forget... is when re-installing a bbl is to keep the slide at the half-way back position. I remember it on removal, but not on replacement, especially after 30 minutes of vigorous cleaning. Somehow it seems illogical to me but it is the Mossberg way.
Old August 24, 2002, 08:49 AM   #4
VaughnT

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm heading that way, right now, to see if she'll come apart. The new bbl should be here by the end of next week and I want her all clean and shiny when they meet.

Gotta love this board.
Old August 24, 2002, 11:16 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Vaughn T
If you will provide an email address, I can send you the complete disassem on the Mossy 500, w/photos.

HJN