The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1
amahfood

Need to identify old shotgun

I came across a shotgun yesterday, looked pretty old, and it was super cheap, so of course I bought it. It's a single shot, break action, looks like about a 31" barrel, of course wood stock, and it says Hopkins & Allen Arms, "Forehand" seems to be the model name, but if I remember right, there was a company called Forehand years ago, long before my time. I'd like to know the age of this gun if anyone can help me. The serial number on the barrel matches the one behind the trigger guard, so its all original. I broke it open, barrel looks pretty clean, and I'm 99% sure it will fire by the looks of the pin showing through. Can anyone help me identify the age of this shotgun?
Old May 18, 2008, 11:44 PM   #2
King Ghidora

That gun was made between 1903 and 1915. Hopkins & Allen Arms merged with the Forehand company after a fire damaged H&AA and forced them to seek a merger to survive. For a while they made inexpensive shotguns and pistols including the "Forehand" model shotgun which was of course named after the Forehand company from before the merger. They were taken over by Marlin-Rockwell in 1917 which used their factory to produce Browning machine guns. And yes the Forehand Arms Company made guns before they merged with H&AA.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So not likely a candidate for "modern" 2 3/4 low brass field loads from walmart?
Brent
Old May 19, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
amahfood

Actually, I wouldn't use the regular Remington field loads you find at WalMart cause it looks like its the old decarbonized steel they used. From what I hear its pretty bad for them. It may not be true, but I think those new loads are bad for the older barrels, at least the kind that were made out of this kind of steel. I'm not going to shoot the thing, its best off as a decoration, but I may restore it a little. Thanks for the info about it, there's no way to tell its specific age though is there?
Old May 19, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
it looks like its the old decarbonized steel they used. From what I hear its pretty bad for them.
Where do you get that from? Maybe you're thinking of damascus or twist steel. The only problem you might run into is the chamber is most likely shorter than 2 3/4. Remember shotgun shells are measured after they're fired so just because one chambers fine doesn't mean it's ok to shoot it without measuring the chamber first.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Utility grade shotguns made before WWI rarely are usable. Between iron, not steel receivers, short chambers and strangletight chokes, this is more likely to cause problems than solve them.

IMO, it's a shotgun shaped decoration.