The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 7, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Geohff

Mentor in Va

At 40 sadly , I am a newbie to guns in general and have only thru my love of the Civil War recently found a desire to try some B.P.C.W. era stuff. This has brought me to an interesting situation. Having nobody in my life interested in guns I know nearly nothing more than common sense and having had BB/Pellet guns as a kid . I came here as a start and was impressed and also overwhelmed by the vast knowlage and info. Now I want to know everything! I still want to do B.P. but now I also want to try making my own reloads someday, that looks cool. I am intimated however at the berth of the subject. I thought hey; buy a B.P. Revolver, get some powder, get some balls, (both kinds , go in the woods fire away. Now I am realizing how dumb I was and could really hurt myself or worse someone else . So I was wondering is there are such things as newbi mentors? Is there a place to go to be taught from scratch, when noone in your life knows or cares anything about guns? What licenses, what fees, what else is involved? Is anyone in Northern Va willing to chat and perhaps take me under a wing, take me to a B.P. shoot and introduce me to the sport correctly, rather than me throwing away a lot of money and ending up with bad equipment, bad experiance and a bad opinion of guns?

Just curious how many others started in this way, or were most of you introduced to guns by parents / friends growing up ?
Old February 7, 2007, 08:31 PM   #2
bennnn

:barf:
Old February 8, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
1BadF350

Hey buddy, I'm not too far from you in Maryland. I'll be moving to Ashburn in a few weeks though. I know nothing about BP. I would suggest calling a gun store near you and ask your question to them.
I can put you in touch with the guys at Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring, Md and Rockville, Md. They will gladly help you or will know someone who could.
Make sure you go to the upcomming gun show at the Dulles Expo Center in April. If you need anything just send me a private message. -Chris
Old February 12, 2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Geohff

I have been in a few gun stores now. My experiance is I don't know the lingo enough yet, nor know enough to ask the right questions. I am getting better and learning a lot, but these guys are working, that is trying to sell me a gun, not sell me on guns. So if my questions are too many, or too abstract I get a fairly quick brush off when they see I will not be walking out with a gun that day.
Old February 12, 2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Lurper

Try Gilbert Small Arms Range in Lorton. I haven't been there in almost 20 years, but when I ran the place they had good staff.
http://www.gilbertrange.com/
Old February 14, 2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Geohff

Do ranges rent Black Powder?
Old February 14, 2007, 01:51 PM   #7
SD_Chop

virginia arms in manasass has a some smart people inside.