The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2000, 08:42 PM   #1
Mike Baugh

I need some help picking new holsters for a Glock 19 and a Sig 239 . I want strong side , open top leather versions and I am leaning toward the M-D BS-2 and the Waldon Raptor Defense set . Does anybody have any input on these models or is there a different model I should be looking at . Thanks , Mike...
Old July 30, 2000, 10:05 PM   #2
Mark THG

There is a thread on this going in the Handguns / Pistolcraft forum.
check that out.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
[email protected]
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease
Old July 30, 2000, 11:15 PM   #3
eje

Couldn't find the other thread, so I'll post here. I recently bought a Milt Sparks 55BN for my Sig P239, and am awaiting delivery of an Alessi CQC/S for my Glock 19. I like the 55BN a lot; it's sturdy with a metal-reinforced mouth, and mine has an FBI cant.

For a look at the 55BN, go to:
www.miltsparks.com

For pictures of the CQC/S, see:
http://216.88.255.50/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000119.html

If you are looking for a high ride holster, the BS-2 is the one I would pick.
Old July 30, 2000, 11:23 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

This is just a quick moderator's note on holster threads.

Mike knows that this is indeed the right forum for holster discussions. Sometimes holster threads don't get moved from the H & P forum because they weren't caught in time before they had a lot of responses. It would be counter-productive to move it at that time.
Old July 30, 2000, 11:40 PM   #5
Bulldog

I have two BS-2s and two Raptors, so I reckon I have some input.

Both are excellent holsters that are both handmade with attention to detail. Overall quality between the two is a toss-up, in my opinion.

M/D (Mark THG) molds his holsters strictly by hand while Waldon (Mark W) molds by hand and with a press. The addition of the press seems to make for a more precise fit (I'm talkin' every little nook, cranny, and letter on the gun) and a thinner overall product.

I'm not familiar with what finishing processes the two Marks use, but they do differ. Mark THG's holsters are a bit softer than Mark W's when new. Both end up wearing down to about the same feel, though. Mark W's holsters have a shiney, hard-ish finish (don't really know how to describe it - Like a shellack? Doesn't crack or anything...), while Mark THG's are more of a dull, matte, softer finish.

As far as comparing the BS-2 vs. the Raptor, the BS-2 rides slightly higher, which can be good or bad.

The BS-2 is good in that it rides extremely high and doesn't require as long of a cover garment to conceal.

Here's where the high ride could be bad: If you're a fat-boy, unless you have some barrel on the gun, the butt of the gun will tend to push outwards. I had this problem with the Glock 30 in the BS-2, but not with my Glocks 19, 23, 27, and 36.

The Raptor works better for me with the Glock 30. It rides just a tad lower, allowing for a more evenly distributed ride.

As I said before, quality between the two is a toss-up. Whatever someone might choose would probably depend on personal preference.

Every Waldon holster is custom-built to order. My average wait for a Waldon product has been around 3.5 months, and it's well worth it.

From what I understand, Mark THG generally stocks the BS-2 for certain gun models. In other words, he make's them before anyone orders them (and I believe this is the only holster with which he does this). Therefore, you can get the BS-2 (for certain models) much quicker.

Prices ranges between M/D and Waldon are close. If Mark THG would ever move back to New Jersey, I could stop paying sales tax on everything I order from him, and that would bring the prices much closer - for Texans, at least. A BS-2 + Tax + Shipping = what I'd pay for a Raptor Defense set (holster and mag pouch).

If I were in your shoes, I'd get one of each. I still order from both of these guys. About 3 weeks ago, I took possession of my 3rd BS-2. A few days ago, I received a Sidewinder IWB and two belts (all excellent, by the way) from Waldon. My next holster will probably be a YCS from M/D. I don't even bother with store-bought leather anymore. All I need is M/D and Waldon.

Almost forgot about the mag pouches. I prefer the mag pouch that comes with Mark W's Raptor Defense set. Mark THG has two pouch designs, but the only one I've had has the flap of leather and a snap that goes over the back of the belt (I think it's the SBS for Single Belt Snap). I much prefer the belt slots on either side of the pouch - tucks it in tighter. Mark THG makes one like this, but I haven't seen one myself, so I really can't comment on its design.

Hope this helps.

------------------
¡Viva la RKBA!
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 07:54 AM   #6
panzerfuehrer

I have two Waldon Vipers one for Ruger P85, and the other a SW99. I also have a belt. Waited a long time for them (2 and 3 months), but was very pleased with the finished product. I will add that they do have a nice finish, and look very nice with the coat and tie I wear every day.

Been looking over Mark THG's stuff, and looking possibly to order one of his as well. I would say that if you order custom leather, it is usually worth the wait, no matter who makes it.

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.
Old July 31, 2000, 08:58 AM   #7
JimFox

I'll second Bulldog's comment about the BS-2. I have one I use for a Colt Officers Model and it works very well. I'm scrawney so I have no problem with the grip pushing out. I find it conceals best (for me) if worn just a tiny bit to the front of the hip.

------------------
Jim Fox
Old August 1, 2000, 07:27 PM   #8
Mark THG

panzerfueher,
I think your last statement is right on the target.
I don't think any of the custom makers out there make a bad product.
Sometimes a holster design will not work for a certain person but that does not mean it's a bad design.
I have had people of similar build order the same model holster for the same gun. One swears by it the other at it!
That's just the way it is.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
[email protected]
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease