The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 23, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Caseless

How do you store/secure your long guns without using a gunsafe?

I have been hesitant to buy any more full sized rifle because a 500 Ib. gunsafe is not practical right now(can't afford a house). Aside from stashing them in your wardrobe/cabinet, what alternatives do I have in storing 3 rifles at home? Thanks for your input.
Old July 23, 2002, 12:30 PM   #2
Cee-Zed

I wish that I could give proper credit to the originator of this idea.

Take an old refrigerator. "Modify" the interior as necessary. Put a padlock on the door. Put in the garage.

This may not fool anyone, but you can usually find non-working refrigerators for free (if you're willing to haul it away).
Old July 23, 2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Edward429451

Well, I enlarged my drainline from my toilet from 4" to 12" under the floor, framed it in downstairs so its not visible, adapted back to 4" for the drain in the chase, permanently affixed a 6" sch 40 pipe with plug on top inside the 12", dropped in my Rifle and some mags and ammo and reset the toilet with with wing nuts and finger nut for the supply line.

Even a JBT might let me go to the bathroom before taking me in so I'd just need to pull up the toilet real quick, scrape off the goo and bang, back in the game!

In a place where they definitly might not look. Ya gotta be creative!
Old July 23, 2002, 12:51 PM   #4
Velocipede

I'm in the same situation as you.

For my bolt action rifle, I remove the bolt and put it in the pistol box (not in the same room as the rifle). This way, the rifle can not be shot unless thief find both.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's way better than the fonctionnal rifle locked in the closet.
Old July 23, 2002, 01:26 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

I do have an old refridgerator museum.

Or you can buy an old bank branch building and move in. Walk in gun safes are neat.

Sam
Old July 24, 2002, 07:41 AM   #6
Wild Irish

Cable guy

In the past I've used bicycle cable locks-cable through trigger guards, cable up and over wooden dowel holding shirts, etc. in closet, large eye screw into coping, bolts removed from rifles where possible. Upon opening closet, it looked, and was, an impossible mess for some miscreant "in a hurry". An improved system is now in place.
Old July 25, 2002, 07:56 PM   #7
CWL

Get one of those aluminum 'brite treads' lockers you see on the back of working pickups. Get a really good lock, like a discus.

Drill & bolt to floor.

Not a safe, but as good as/better than a locker.
Old July 29, 2002, 03:59 PM   #8
VictorLouis

If you've put off the safe for expense

or lack of quality-vs.-$ ratio, Sentry may interest you. Wal-Mart is now carrying two new models that I've examined, and a large one will soon be on lay-a-way with me.

59"Hx21"Wx17.5"D @$329 14 long guns

55x17&3/4x17.5 @ $269(?) 10 " "

These things look like a heckuva great deal. Interior hinges, all welds are seamless and finished, and it even has two rear-mounting holes to bolt it to the floor and wall, or install a goldenrod.