The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
ldturnerwa

Reloading Data - 9mm

I'm just getting into reloading and I will be starting with 9mm and have some questions on looking up loading data for the 9mm.

To start with I plan to load for the range, I have been shooting 115gr FMJ factory loads, but I would like to hand load 124gr FMJ which is what I have for my SD loads. Now to my specific questions.

To get the load data, I went to my Lyman 49th edition page 341 looking for 124gr FMJ, but I don't see any data for it, the only data I see for FMJ is 95gr. so I when to my Lee manual.

In the Lee manual I can see 124gr Jacketed Bullet ( I will assume this is equal to FMJ?) and it shows a number of powder options. The powder that I was thing of using is not listed for the 124gr bullet weight Titegroup, however it is listed for 115gr Lead and 115gr XTP.

I want to make sure I understand what this is telling me. Does this mean for for 124gr & 115 gr FMJ that Titegroup is not an option?

In the Lyman guide I see 115gr JHP and it show Titegroup, I also see that it recommends Power Pistol as the powder of choice, but I don't see any options for 115gr FMJ.

It seems to me the Lyman guide doesn't contain that much on 9mm, which is a bit of shock, I thought it would contain more data.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
dunerjeff

Go to the powder mfg website.They all have reloading data for their powders in the popular caliber it is used in. They have a 125gr fmj for titegroup that you can use,
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old February 16, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
rg1

Understand your frustration. Finding proven data in a manual for your bullet choice and powder preference is sometimes not easy. Also you are reluctant to use others on-line recommendations. No experience with Titegroup powder, I use Alliant Unique for 9MM 124 gr. FMJ roundnose bullets. For several different 124 FMJ jacketed and plated round nose bullets I've loaded 4.8 grains of Unique for a milder load and up to 5.1 grains of Unique for more velocity. I've seen no issues with 5.1 grains with the 124FMJ's in different pistols with various cases but all using CCI 500 primers. 5.1 is not maximum with Unique. I seat most 124 FMJ's to 1.150" oal but Winchester 124 FMJ's I seat to 1.160" as they have a more pointed tip shape. A chronograph helps working up powders when specific bullets and powders aren't published. I do see several discussions in searches where people do use Titegroup in 9MM. The nice thing about Unique for me is that with typical charges there is NO WAY that a case could be double charged. Typical loads come up to the base of a seated bullet or even lightly compressed. I won't use a powder with the possibility of a double charge of powder. Luck finding your answers.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
I want to make sure I understand what this is telling me. Does this mean for for 124gr & 115 gr FMJ that Titegroup is not an option?
There are some loads listed on the Hodgdon website. But what you are seeing is that Titegroup is a fast powder and that isn't necessarily the best option for 9mm. Especially for someone just getting started into reloading.

Have you looked at the Powder burn rate chart? The issue with using a fast powder on the 9mm is that it can make changes in seating depth result in some pretty dramatic pressure changes. So if you don't have adequate neck tension because you expanded the case neck a bit too much and the bullet gets driven deeper into the case when it hits the feed ramp, suddenly the pressure goes up 40% and your pistol is overpressured.

The other issue is that bullets of the same weight may vary in length due to the profile. So even though your 124 gr matches the load if it is a different bullet and a different length the pressure could be different. That is why you always start with the starting load and work your way up watching for indications of pressure.

Clearly you are free to use whatever powder you choose, but using a slower powder (where you have already seen there are lots more choices) will give you a greater safety cushion while you perfect this new skill.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:52 PM   #5
bossman

Go to your bullet company and your powder company and try to match them up. In 9mm I use Berry's Plated at 4.5gr of Universal Clays and is a sweet shooting round.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
GTOne

Quote:
There are some loads listed on the Hodgdon website. But what you are seeing is that Titegroup is a fast powder and that isn't necessarily the best option for 9mm. Especially for someone just getting started into reloading.
Titegroup is a double based powder if I recall(nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine), and probably spikey at max pressures. (That means dangerous).

A clue is that 125 gr bullet load is 4.1 min to 4.4 max. That is...unfriendly, and probably why it isn't listed in many books. A good powder measure set to 4.2 is likely to push towards the max once in a while.

There are many better choices.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
ldturnerwa

Thanks for the reply. At this point I'm not wed to any specific powder such as Titegroup, I'm just trying to learn about powders, bullets and primers and find a good powder that will give me good results with a good safety cushion until I get some experience under my belt.

I have read quite a bit about Unique, I will check it out.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
jepp2

Unique is much better suited to your loads. It has been around for over 100 years and is used in a wide variety of loads in many calibers. Just realize that it is known for not metering very well and it performs best loaded up more near the maximum. But for good cycling on your 9mm you will probably be there anyway.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Try Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd edeition. I have it and it list a lot more loads for 9mm than any of the others that I have seen.

125 grain jacketed bullet with TiteGroup shows a start load of 3.8 grains at 962 FPS and a pressure of 26,100 CUP.

Max is listed at 4.2 grains at 1045 FPS pressure of 31,200 CUP.

With a OAL of 1.075 inches You can seat longer than that, but going shorter will drive up pressure dramaticly.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

I'm using AA5 with 124 grain FMJ from Montana Gold. I've found 5.8 grains of powder works well for me. It is a medium burning powder for pistols. I have also used VV320, W231 and WST powders for 9 mm. It really depends on if you want a soft shooting load or something with a lot of kick. Pistol powder works but you get a lot of flash when loaded near the top end. When I need more speed in the bullet and I'm reaching the top end of the load I just switch to a slower burning powder and start to work up the load again. This seems to keep the presures to a reasonable level for me.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Mobuck

I've used a lot of AA#7 and will continue to use it in 9mm. It uses the full case capacity preventing double charging. I also use Titegroup for lighter plinking ammo to save $$.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:22 PM   #12
primerman

What I am finding out about Titegroup is you may want to start at the bottom an work down. I don't find a lot of load data for this powder but like many others on this forum I seem to always go back to it. I also like the HP-38 but am loading the Titegroup for now in my 9mm, and S&W 40. Not sure what your "Overall Length" is but you may want to start around 3.8 grains and work a little up or down and see if you like the results with your 9mm loads. As stater before the savings are pretty good.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:46 PM   #13
chris in va

You're better off using Unique or Universal for 9mm.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:17 PM   #14
arizona98tj

I've helped several folks get started in hand loading for their handgun. I normally recommend Unique as a starting powder and it is not uncommon for them to stick with it years later (like me....started in the 70s and still enjoy using Unique).